Would you eat this mashed potato?

MrMajeika

Local time
6:24 AM
This is maybe a bit of a mean thing to post and just to put in to context my mother in law is a good cook and pretty much everything she makes is delicious. However her mashed potato is always really gloopy. Maybe it's the potatoes she uses but she always adds a lot of milk and butter and then I think uses a stick blender which I feel is where the problem is. This time she put mozzarella in it. My wife and father in law are like mmm it's soo good and I know they are genuine and I'm thinking like really? Is it? I'll add a pic what do you think

20230103_172238.jpg

Is that shown without any kind of gravy? It looks like it is drowning in gravy.

CD

My DH's sisters both make Mashed Potatoes using a hand-held electric mixer ... umm ... gloopy and not appetizing at all. Since the large family gathering meals served buffet style, I just pass them by.
DH said that's how him Mother made them ... he doesn't care for them either.
No amount of gravy can save it!

Its most definitely the stick blender that is to blame as other have said. There are two kinds of mash: the fluffy sort which I prefer and which is similar to that which Yorky shows, above. But there is also a classic 'French' chef version which is more of a purée (indeed its known as Pomme Purée in France). This has a lot more butter added and is sometimes passed through a sieve for an extra fine texture and is more 'sloppy' than regular mash. But, whatever version of mashed potato, gluey is not what it should be.

Back
Top Bottom