Would you ever?...or never?

Lynne Guinne

Veteran
Local time
7:03 AM
While reading some posts, I've noticed that many of us say we wouldn't eat a certain food a certain way - ever! But, what if you were visiting a particular region, somewhere "that" certain way was the norm.

For instance: I don't like sushi. I've tried it several times from very reputable places. I've dined out with my hubby and our son who raved about the sushi they were eating while I noshed on something else. BUT...if I were in Japan, I would take a taste of it. Pretty sure my opinion wouldn't change because it's more the texture than the flavor that is off-putting to me. Still, I would try.

I'm hesitant to try strongly seasoned foods. BUT...when we were in Charleston, South Carolina I tried the regional foods. I now make Gullah and Lowcountry style meals at home. Still can't make friends with Tasso ham, though.

So...even though you say you would "never" eat a food a certain way, would you be willing to try if that was a specialty of the area?

I would never eat strong cheese or mushrooms, even if the dish was a regional speciality. I just can't face them.

Otherwise I pretty much would give anything a try.

I'd never touch foie gras no matter what.
And I honestly don't think I could bring myself to eat brains either. They are best left to preserving skins.
I'm know there will be other things as well such as stockfish. They just look vicious!

But I don't think I would have any issues with insects and the likes.

There are foods, I would never eat, regardless of where I was and regardless if it is the national dish of a specific country or regional specialty ..

Preparation: There are foods I just do not eat a certain way .. (1) One is, my beef or venison. Blue rare is the only way I eat it .. I prefer both tartare or carpaccio ..

2) I had a taste of Oysters Rockerfeller ( 1 oyster Rockerfeller ) at a 5 star hotel, and in all honesty, I did not enjoy it .. As a matter of fact, I thought it was disgusting .. I prefer my oysters fresh and raw, right out of the ocean / sea, on the half Shell ..

3) The only cheeses I truly dislike, are orange cow milk cheeses and cheeses with orange colored rinds ..

4) Deep fried foods under "garbage" industrial oils .. This is simply repulsive ..

Good question.
Have a nice day.

No, because there are too many other foods in most cultures.

I had a taste of Oysters Rockerfeller ( 1 oyster Rockerfeller ) at a 5 star hotel, and in all honesty, I did not enjoy it .. As a matter of fact, I thought it was disgusting .. I prefer my oysters fresh and raw, right out of the ocean / sea, on the half Shell ..

I haven't ever had oysters any other way except fresh and raw - mainly because I love them so much that I can't imagine cooking would improve them. But I suppose I really should try the famous Oysters Rockerfeller, just to make sure.

I haven't ever had oysters any other way except fresh and raw - mainly because I love them so much that I can't imagine cooking would improve them. But I suppose I really should try the famous Oysters Rockerfeller, just to make sure.

@morning glory

I did not like it at all .. I am glad that I did not order it !

Have a lovely evening.

Not really.

My Dad did terrible things with tripe but I know it's supposed to be fabulous in Spain and I would eat it.

I eat offal. In fact I love it.

I eat seafood.

I share @Francesca's preference for rare beef & raw oysters, but I'll eat them how they are served.

I have cured my aversion to coriander leaf/cilantro.

Pretty much the only thing I don't cook & eat is Brussels sprouts but I'm assured that fried and roasted is much better than they boiled to lifelessness as my step mother presented them.

For obvious reasons, I would not eat anything that contained (or could possibly be contaminated with) any form of seafood, bananas, grapefruit, or celery, or anything with fresh unboiled/filtered tap water. I can't stand meat unless it is at least medium cooked (and can't stand meat cooked sous vide, because to me it often looks raw), hate runny eggs, hate foods swimming in oil or grease, and you can forget tripe. Otherwise I would at least try most things.

@Frizz1974

We call tripe, " Callos" in Spain and they are prepared since time memorial in a hot paprika sauce ! Very common Tapa especially in Madrid Capital ..

Have a lovely evening.

Pretty much the only thing I don't cook & eat is Brussels sprouts but I'm assured that fried and roasted is much better than they boiled to lifelessness as my step mother presented them.

I love Brussels sprouts - I blanch mine and then simmer them for a few minutes, or fry, or roast them.

This thread is interesting because its asking a very specific question. Its not asking which food you don't like. Its asking which food you don't like when it is prepared in a certain way and whether you might try it if it was a speciality of the region you were visiting. So I think @Francesca was right on topic by saying she loved raw oysters but not Oyster Rockerfeller which she had tried as a regional speciality.

I am finding it hard to think of any food that I like but do not like made in a certain way (except oysters).

This thread is interesting because its asking a very specific question. Its not asking which food you don't like. Its asking which food you don't like when it is prepared in a certain way and whether you might try it if it was a speciality of the region you were visiting. So I think @Francesca was right on topic by saying she loved raw oysters but not Oyster Rockerfeller which she had tried as a regional speciality.

I am finding it hard to think of any food that I like but do not like made in a certain way (except oysters).

@morning glory

Yes. Preparation is the "Key Word". One may like an ingredient or a dish prepared in their home land but dislike the way it is prepared in a different city or country ..

I am off to rest.
Catch up tomorrow.
I made your Courgette Hummus .. Shall take a photograph
tomorrow and post it in your thread !

Back
Top Bottom