Would you want to own a Restaurant?

I wouldn't fancy it much - too much hard work, too little reward, not enough time off. The same thing goes for running a pub. Anyway, I would only run a pub that sold revolting keg beer, otherwise I'd end up drinking every day.

I wouldn't fancy it much - too much hard work, too little reward, not enough time off. The same thing goes for running a pub. Anyway, I would only run a pub that sold revolting keg beer, otherwise I'd end up drinking every day.

Around here the rewards are great for some. The economy is a mess right now and it feels like everybody is 'setting up shop" at home. Just in my area there are about four to six homes in close proximity that have started food businesses out of their houses. I imagine they have to get the requisite license and all that, but I just think everybody is trying to jump in to make a quick buck.

I always wondered if I owned a restaurant if I'd end up bigger and fatter just tasting everything. The beer would be the least of my problems.

Last edited:
As much as I enjoy cooking, I don't think the restaurant business is right for me. I enjoy cooking as a hobby more than work - and restaurants are a super high stress environment a lot of the time. I give credit to all the people working in them!

It seems a way of turning something you enjoy into something you hate. As an example I used to love driving, after twenty years of driving up to 50k miles a year [all weathers all times day and night] I sort of began to hate getting behind the wheel. Add to that H&S rules by the hundred, hygiene inspections, reviews [some I'm sorry to say by professional wingers] and it kind of loses it's appeal.

Around here the rewards are great for some. The economy is a mess right now and it feels like everybody is 'setting up shop" at home. Just in my area there are about four to six homes in close proximity that have started food businesses out of their houses. I imagine they have to get the requisite license and all that, but I just think everybody is trying to jump in to make a quick buck.

I always wondered if I owned a restaurant if I'd end up bigger and fatter just tasting everything. The beer would be the least of my problems.
I've never heard of any one in the UK turning their house into a restaurant and to be honest a lot of the pub based restaurants are struggling in my area ,the chains are making it hard for them ,there is money to be made but it's finding the correct market and moving with it

It seems a way of turning something you enjoy into something you hate. As an example I used to love driving, after twenty years of driving up to 50k miles a year [all weathers all times day and night] I sort of began to hate getting behind the wheel. Add to that H&S rules by the hundred, hygiene inspections, reviews [some I'm sorry to say by professional wingers] and it kind of loses it's appeal.
Trip advisor is full of Want to be egon Ronays ,all experts and all wanting to tell you what you've done wrong ,i can deal with most things that are thrown at me day to day at the restaurant but trip advisor can really spoil my day

I've never heard of any one in the UK turning their house into a restaurant and to be honest a lot of the pub based restaurants are struggling in my area ,the chains are making it hard for them ,there is money to be made but it's finding the correct market and moving with it

Well I don't suppose they can be officially called Restaurants. Come to think of it, I don't know there is an actual name but it's becoming big business here. I had a friend who used to come by when I used to entertain much more and then one day I heard he was selling food from his house on Friday and Saturday nights. I never knew him or his wife to be top notch cooks but apparently he made some money but it was short lived. I don't think his cooking stood the test of time.

Well I don't suppose they can be officially called Restaurants. Come to think of it, I don't know there is an actual name but it's becoming big business here. I had a friend who used to come by when I used to entertain much more and then one day I heard he was selling food from his house on Friday and Saturday nights. I never knew him or his wife to be top notch cooks but apparently he made some money but it was short lived. I don't think his cooking stood the test of time.

Opening a pop up restaurant in your front room is a great idea ,it would give a insight into what you could expect with out the financial risk

Opening a pop up restaurant in your front room is a great idea ,it would give a insight into what you could expect with out the financial risk

I like the sound of that: Pop Up Restaurant. But the other more established Restaurants properly won't find them very encouraging. Honestly I have thought I might do quite well in the area but from all reports and from what I have seen, the food business is no easy task. Just some yards up the street a homeowner who used to sell clothing from her own has now started selling food on the weekend and on Friday and Saturday the cars are everywhere. I have not patronized it thus far. I am picky I think and I can smell the oil from a distant. Even if the oil smell is running me it obviously keeps many going back.

I like the sound of that: Pop Up Restaurant. But the other more established Restaurants properly won't find them very encouraging. Honestly I have thought I might do quite well in the area but from all reports and from what I have seen, the food business is no easy task. Just some yards up the street a homeowner who used to sell clothing from her own has now started selling food on the weekend and on Friday and Saturday the cars are everywhere. I have not patronized it thus far. I am picky I think and I can smell the oil from a distant. Even if the oil smell is running me it obviously keeps many going back.
There is a fast food wagon in the area close to the restaurant that even though has all the correct paper work keeps getting moved on ,traffic complaints ,smells, noise,and the general not needed near me attitude ,he's only trying to make a living ,but that's easily said if he's not effecting your home or maybe businesses established in the area ,by the way he has absolutely no effect on my trade

I have actually been doing a lot of restaurant reviews lately for a job I do, and it is amazing that many people just make homemade food from their homeland and make a lot of money doing it. I still do not want the responsibility of owning one, but I would love to travel the world, eat at different restaurants and then write about them.

I have actually been doing a lot of restaurant reviews lately for a job I do, and it is amazing that many people just make homemade food from their homeland and make a lot of money doing it. I still do not want the responsibility of owning one, but I would love to travel the world, eat at different restaurants and then write about them.
Wow! What a great job! Do you eat incognito with all expenses paid?:D

The thought has never crossed my mind about wanting to own a restaurant, and I don't think this is a profession I would choose. I do not even have the desire to work in one, let alone owning one. Owning a restaurant would be a big responsibility. Even though I have no problem with cooking meals at home, being in the heat of a kitchen for a great part of the day does not appeal to me. Also, those who operate a restaurant or work in one have to work flexible hours, sometimes late into the night. This is another aspect of this kind of job that I do not like.

I feel like cooking for a living would take all the enjoyment out of it. Suddenly it's all stress and trying to please everyone instead of "hey guys come over for dinner".

Back
Top Bottom