Yeast, or Baking Powder?

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
1:49 PM
To my understanding, they both make bubbles to leaven bread or cake. I must admit to being just a little intimidated by recipes that use yeast, though, because they're living creatures that have to be woken up by water that's exactly the right temperature and then nurtured by some sort of sugar and all the science-y stuff.

Can the yeast in some recipes be substituted by baking powder, or baking soda and cream of tartar combinations? Or would that affect the flavor too much, making the resulting bread rather chemical and generally lifeless if it's not a sweet bread or a pancake?

Of course some day I'd like to make "real" bread, that is with yeast leavening. I have done so before (with guidance) and it wasn't that bad.

Not all breads need yeast, so perhaps working with some of them could be a better option to gain some confidence? One of my favourites used to be (until I developed an allergy to dairy products) made with buttermilk and I have taught a 10 year old to make it with ease. It is wonderfully tasty and really moist. https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/irish-soda-bread.30/#navigation

Yeast is not that temperamental though and is surprisingly 'robust'. I generally opt for the luke warm water approach with a roughly speaking manner and have never had any problems when it comes to activating the yeast. Luke warm being to the touch of my hands/fingers etc. No thermometers involved.

Proving the dough is also not that difficult. Just find a warm location (I use my dehydrator with the dough covered with clingfilm so as not to dry it out), but I have also used a wheatbag covered with a towel, the bowl placed on top and the whole lot put in a cardboard box (similar to a WWII technique called a straw box). It is remarkably effective. I lack an airing cupboard so have to improvise!

I used to be afraid of using yeast. However after using it more and more it is pretty straightforward. The one dough tip I would give is make sure you need it sufficiently, it makes a difference to the end product.

I never had a problem using yeast. The only problem I had in baking my own bread was that by the following day it would have become hard. This does not happen with Irish soda bread which is easy to make. It is still softer when freshly baked, but it is still usable for a few days after baking.

Back
Top Bottom