Recipe Yorkshire Pudding

Local time
12:44 PM
The recipe I use is equal quantities (by volume) of eggs, plain flour and liquid (half milk, half water) - 1 egg is usually approx 1/4 an american measuring cup.
I use a muffin tin and use 1 egg per 3 yorkies - I find the best results are when each cup in the muffin tin is at around 2/3 full.
Other tips are: don't overbeat the batter, a few lumps don't matter. And as morning glory says, make sure the tin and the oil are very hot.

That looks very good. I should probably experiment before hand to make sure I have it down...before I serve for Christmas. The idea of cooking a new dish is kind of exciting...I love potatoes but something different would be awesome as well. My friend is English by ancestry and he spent a lot of time with his British grandmother as a child so he may well enjoy this.

Have never made them, but wow, are they ever good!

My boyfriend's grandmother (his mother was adopted) is Scottish, but she lived in England for most of her life, and brought with her to Canada when she emmigrated, many recipes. She makes the most wonderful Yorkie puddings, a dynamite banana bread, this super scrumptious thing called a 'sausage-bomb' that she makes each Xmas and Thanksgiving, and a mean cup of both Orange Pekoe and Earl Grey. Along with so many other tasty things.

She has told me that yes, the pan and the oil both should be very, very hot. Like, 'you won't have any skin left on your hands if you manage to spill on yourself while putting things in to the oven-hot'. Also, equal ratios of all three ingredients should be used.

A couple questions, though.... just how hot should the oven be? How exactly to go about preheating the pan, the oil, that whole process? And, of course.... how long should they be cooked for, to achieve optimal Yorkshire-pudding yumminess? :)

.. just how hot should the oven be? How exactly to go about preheating the pan, the oil, that whole process?
Not 100% on the answers [yorkshire pudding is my wife's strongpoint] but from observation here are a few points
1 - get the oven up to temperature and then put the tins in and then leave to get hot [smoking is the guide my wife uses].
2 - they cook quite quickly - very small ones can take only a few minutes , look for a light brown crust after they rise.
Many supermarkets do ready made puds that are not bad for a try if you aren't sure if you like them. [not too sure about getting
these outside the UK though]
Finally don't forget to try 'toad in the hole' ie a large yorkshire with sausages baked into the batter - you can choose you sausages to suit your taste.

Yep oven on full blast - as hot as it'll go - mine goes up to about 230 degrees I think.
Put your oil into the pan cold (I use just enough to cover the bottom) and then heat the pan in the oven until the oil is hot - smoking is good, but sometimes I can't be bothered to wait that long and they still come out fine.
Add the batter to the hot pan as quickly as possible (to avoid losing too much heat) and return to the oven.

I use muffin tins and they probably take around 15 mins to cook - but to be honest I've never timed it! They should get big and puffy, but make sure you leave them in long enough to crisp up a little bit - if you take them out when they're still soft they'll collapse.

Back
Top Bottom