Your Best Cook n Freeze Dinners and Lunches.

Shepherd’s/cottage pie - those both freeze well. Steak and ale pie filling (or chicken-ham-leek) freeze well, and if you have ready-rolled pie dough from the supermarket, that’s easy enough to do.

Meatloaf, of course, beef burgundy…most of that isn’t really “special” as in elegant, but I’m a boy who loves his heavy comfort foods, so that’s what I’d be looking for.

As a hybrid fresh/frozen option, meat pie fillings freeze well. Then, all you have to do is dump it in a pie crust, and bake it right before serving.

CD

Maybe go different and go dumplings or bak pao?
Full dim sum meal. Maybe add spring rolls, pangsit etc
And they freeze OK

Or tapas? Mezze?
Easy to make in advance. Small bites, good glass of wine to go with it

Or go carbonade de Flamand or boeuf bourgignon (to stay with French names)

Or maybe the Coq au vin because that's one of the first things I cooked in our first house back in 1994.
It was out of my 'Food and Drink' recipe book, anyone remember that series on BBC 2 in the 80's and 90's?

I love coq au vin. I wonder if it would work okay with Rioja? Too dry? I Make mine with white wine...

Recipe - Coq au Vin Blanc

CD

I love coq au vin. I wonder if it would work okay with Rioja? Too dry? I Make mine with white wine...

Recipe - Coq au Vin Blanc

CD
I like this idea.
JAS_OH1 I also think the chicken can look a bit sorry in red wine.
I’m definitely leaning this way.
I might go Julia Child on it and cook the mushrooms separately in garlic and add them towards the end so they retain a distinct garlic butter flavour.

There was enough for two meals and I forgot to photograph the first round so here’s todays redo. It’s a combination of Yotam’s Garlic Chicken made with capers not green peppercorns (shame I didn’t remember to enter this recipe challenge, Heyho) and CD’s suggested Coq au vin recipe by adding butter garlic mushrooms (cooked separately) at the end.
The potatoes are in there to make it a one pot dish, well that and I hate food waste so in they went!

I forgot how much I like this dish!
I always thicken the sauce a bit so it just about clings to the chicken.
The cheap roasting tin I moaned about was excellent, no warping and the concentrated roasty bits peeled off into the delicious mix using just a wooden spatula.
Pictured here reheating in a frying pan.

Yotam Ottolenghi's Sunday lunch recipes | Food | The Guardian

IMG_0159.jpeg

Then onto Mary Berry’s Lemon Roulade.
The lemon curd on its own is out of this world but then large Spanish lemons are all zing so that’s not a surprise.
I ingnored the instruction to toast the nuts first as the picture on the website is very pretty but those black bits look like burnt nut. I was right on that score, they toasted nicely while cooking.
But it wasn’t just my lemons that were super sized. The eggs were too. My Swiss roll tin (aka flimsy silicone tray) could not hold Meringasaurus, fortunately the greaseproof paper and new baking tray almost could.

It is certainly supersized. Just to give some perspective the baking tray is 42cm X 30cm and it wasn’t much smaller!
If I was doing it again I wouldn’t mix the lemon curd in with the cream. It gave inconsistent slices with some lacking in lemon and some very lemony. Very tasty all the same.

Mary Berry's Lemon meringue roulade recipe

IMG_0163.jpeg

It’s awaiting its icing sugar dusting here.

Last edited:
Did you use the black garlic cloves (20 (!) of them) as in Ottolenghi's recipe?
Oh yer!
And I asked Mr SSOAP to guess how many cloves were in there.
He guessed six!
And yet the 20 normal cloves, the 24 black cloves (couldn’t leave the last four in the pot) and the four used for the garlic mushrooms were cooked in a way that made them mild! Tis quite unbelievable!

Back
Top Bottom