Your best lentil soup recipe?

I usually make lentil and ham soup using red split lentils, leftover ham and ham stock. I fry a lightly chopped onion and a finely chopped stick of celery and add them to the soaked lentils, water and ham stock. I don;t usually add the ham until close to the end of cooking. I also add loads fo black pepper and a swirl of cream.

I have a huge ham bone still in my freezer since christmas and I'm just kicking to use it up. I have my notebook out taking notes in this thread so I can make some great lentil soup. I'm going to try the recipe by zoribrida and see how it turns out! Thanks guys.

I usually make lentil and ham soup using red split lentils, leftover ham and ham stock. I fry a lightly chopped onion and a finely chopped stick of celery and add them to the soaked lentils, water and ham stock. I don;t usually add the ham until close to the end of cooking. I also add loads fo black pepper and a swirl of cream.
Please enter the recipe (or any other lentil recipe!) for the The CookingBites Recipe Challenge! Its easy - click on the link to see how.

Can you add chocolate on your lentil soup? Is that a good idea guys? I am thinking of dark chocolate and or yogurt and maybe anything that has creme to it. I am guessing these ingredients will make it a hearty soup would you agree?
For some reason, I have to say that this sounds wrong! And I'm up for all kinds of experimentation. Dark chocolate works in Mole and Chilli which is made with beans.....so one might think that it would be OK with another pulse. But I'm really not at all sure!

Chocolate? I am not sure about. but the yogurt in place of sour cream maybe when served? I would doctor the yogurt. for instance (make it savory) salt, pepper, onion powder, maybe some Italian seasoning? and when you serve maybe add some chopped chives, some fresh tomatoes diced, even jalapeños, or a hot sauce? just ideas.

Chocolate? I am not sure about. but the yogurt in place of sour cream maybe when served? I would doctor the yogurt. for instance (make it savory) salt, pepper, onion powder, maybe some Italian seasoning? and when you serve maybe add some chopped chives, some fresh tomatoes diced, even jalapeños, or a hot sauce? just ideas.
All very good ideas! Why not enter the current The CookingBites Recipe Challenge which is seeking recipes for lentils? Its easy. Just post a recipe (it doesn't have to be your own. You can cut and paste from a website as long as you credit the author. Its all very light hearted!

Back
Top Bottom