Your best stuffing mix

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:39 PM
Stuffing is traditional in a Christmas turkey but it can be useful all year round. Stuffing balls can be served separately from the meat or poultry and made vegan or vegetarian - which is what I will be doing. I'm still working on some ideas and would love to know your favourite stuffing recipes.

Stuffing is one of the best parts of Christmas dinner. That and home made bread sauce.

At other times of the year I will just use packet mixes :oops: (the main supermarkets do a gf/df mix that I make up with rice or almond milk. Paxo have just brought out a gf stuffing mix which is ok.)

My Christmas stuffing recipe is adapted from my mum's recipe.

Sauté chopped onion in oil. Add finely chopped chestnut mushrooms. Cook until soft. Take off heat add a mix of gf breadcrumbs and small ripped off pieces of bread (for texture). Season and add chopped parsley. I usually cook it separately from the bird to accommodate the non meat eaters.

Last edited:
My wife makes a lovely stuffing from scratch. Shallots sautéed in butter, breadcrumbs, lots of fresh herbs, chopped dried apricots, cranberries, a beaten egg and plenty of seasoning.

We stuff Capons or Ducklings with one of the following during the week of the Epiphany
(January 2nd - 7th or 8th ) or for the 27th - 30th December:

My parents and my in laws make their own sausages ..

Brioche Stuffing: Brioche cubes (day old), celery, carrot, shallot, leek, dried and fresh pears or splotched wild apples (no shine - matte Surface), French butter, 1 egg, fresh sage herb, fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, fresh thyme herb, chicken stock broth and hand made duck Armagnac sausage & salt and freshly ground black, Green and Rose pepper.

Traditional Simple: French Butter, Fresh Sage Herb, proscuitto or hand made boar sausage, one egg, onion, chicken stock broth, day old bread crumbs from Chapata or Baguette, dried fruits and salt and freshly ground black pepper ..

Last edited:
I make a dressing using my grandmother's recipe. Since we usually smoke our T-Day bird. I make extra because it is part of the after meal sandwich or two.:porky: I also use the same stuffing for kartoffelklosse.

Had to look this up - potato dumplings?

Yes, potato dumplings. My grandmother made a stuffed version, about the size of a baseball, to go with sauerbraten. She always made extras because they are wonderful sliced (1/2" thick) and browned in butter for breakfast the next day. Cubans make a stuffed potato dumpling called papa rellena.

Back
Top Bottom