Your day to day dinner ware?

I didn't realise this - do you mean that people don't have dining tables?

As TR said, the formal dining room has given way to the "open floor-plan." The dining table is part of the kitchen. Same goes for formal living rooms. We go for "Great Rooms" now. A great room opens the kitchen, dining and living area into one giant space.

Something like this...

serveimage.jpeg

My current house has a dining table off to one side of the kitchen, and a bar between the kitchen and living room space. I can see and talk to guests as I cook. I have a loft upstairs that overlooks the living room area, with two bedrooms, a bathroom and a home theater. People upstairs and downstairs can see each other, and talk to each other. It is very common in the US in the 21st century -- at least in Texas.

CD

Last edited:
I don't think I'll ever get used to open floor plans (or "cathedral" ceilings).

My living room ceiling is 24-feet up. It would not work in a cold climate. A room that tall is like a hot air balloon. Great in the warm months (most of the year, here), not so good when it is cold outside.

CD

I was once advised to buy plain white as it is much simpler to buy a look alike replacement.

Our day to day tableware is the Motion Series by Maxwell and Williams. It's our cutlery that is an absolute mish mash of different sets.

Sale | Entertain In Style | Maxwell & Williams

The only problem with the square dinner plates is that they won't fit in the microwave!

The only problem with the square dinner plates is that they won't fit in the microwave!

Unfortunately square plates are known as being difficult to plate up on artistically - you will notice that very few professional food photographs will feature square plates.

Unfortunately square plates are known as being difficult to plate up on artistically - you will notice that very few professional food photographs will feature square plates.

They appear to be becoming popular around the up-markets joints around here. Not pizza restaurants, obviously.

Personally, I don't like them.

Interesting that, given that the majority of microwaves are rectangular cuboids. But I see your point if you have a rotating "base" then the corners are likely to catch the walls (unless it's a very small square plate).

Interesting that, given that the majority of microwaves are rectangular cuboids. But I see your point if you have a rotating "base" then the corners are likely to catch the walls (unless it's a very small square plate).

Yes that's the problem, luckily I rarely microwave anything unless it's leftovers at work.

I also am not crazy about square/rectangular/triangular plates. There's something elegant about a circle (or an oval) - no corners, I suppose.

I also am not crazy about square/rectangular/triangular plates. There's something elegant about a circle (or an oval) - no corners, I suppose.

An exception would be for some Japanese foods where the spare geometric shapes of the food can work with rectangular or square plates.

Plain white for us, not that easy to find nice stuff with patterns on them that we like, besides patterns are usually a fad which comes and goes whereas white never goes out of fashion. Every day stuff is round however for a special meal we have square plates and dishes.

Most people I know do have a dining table, but it's not in a formal dining room. It's usually (with open floor plans being so popular now) just off the kitchen, but with no walls or anything to divide it, it's like it's still part of an extended kitchen space. Our house is like that (built 2004).

I'd be hard-pressed to pick a year, but a some point in the last few decades, "average" American houses seemed to drop the concept of the formal dining room altogether. Our first house, built in 1980, had one. My brother's house, built in the '70's, had one. My folks, the least "formal" people on the planet, they even have one, and they built their house themselves; it's just that the blueprints they bought had a separate dining space, so that's how they built it.

My wife's family's house - log cabin built in about 1978 or so, it had one, but they used it, because they entertained a lot and because they always ate meals at the table.

Nowadays, I'm not sure how many people eat at the table. The table seems to be more of a catch-all for junk mail and car keys and stuff like that. The only time we eat at the table is for special meals, like afternoon tea or Thanksgiving.

We eat all our meals at the table even though there is only the 2 of us, I like the idea of kitchen/diner but would prefer to keep the lounge separate but then we don't entertain so we don't need open plan.

We eat all our meals at the table even though there is only the 2 of us, I like the idea of kitchen/diner but would prefer to keep the lounge separate but then we don't entertain so we don't need open plan.

The original design for my house had an open archway between the kitchen and the living area. Given the Thai habit of stir frying hot chillis I changed the design for a solid door.

Back
Top Bottom