Your Favorite Party Food

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
4:34 AM
I have 2 sisters. We all love to entertain. Both of my sisters have newer homes with lots of open space - perfect for a party. They both have nice covered patio areas so the party can move in and out. We have a large family. If we are celebrating a nephew or niece the in-laws have to be included. Attendance will vary from 25 to 50 people.

We serve finger food - preferably food that can be served cold or at room temperature. My youngest sister does have a large water bath warming pan that can be divided for more than one dish. We all have fondue warmers. Basically small crock pots.

One of my beautiful nieces and her sweet husband had their first child in March. We hosted a couples baby shower for them. I did most of the food prep.

So my first contribution to this thread is: Chicken Liver Pate with Fig Preserves

Okay - show me yours and I will show you more of mine. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
@ElizabethB

Wow. Sounds wonderful .. Like the fig and Cognac profile ..
Shall give this a go ..

Family Get Togethers:

It is my husband and I, my parents, his parents, our twin sons who are both married and their wives and each of them, have 1 son each .. The Dennis the Menace and Spanky !! Both are beginning elementary school ( 1 is age 5 and 1 is age 6 ) ..

1 ) Paella Marinara ( shellfish & seafood ) .. This is a household tradition is Spain .. Plastic plates, but silverware .. Self serving ..

2) Fideuà ( Vermicelli Noodle Paella without Arborio Rice ) .. Very typical in Barcelona and Cataluna´s 4 autonomous regions.

3) Assorted Tapas !!! ( Croquettes filled with Bechamel, Cod fish or Iberian Ham minced or Spinach )

4) Crudities: Assorted Match Stick Size Veggies and Assored Dips or Piedmont, Italy´s Bagna Cauda .. ( Bagna is a bath and Cauda is hot ) ..

5) Every 31st of December, my mom in law and mom and I, do a 3 course Fondue for good luck and good health in the New Year. My husband is French, from The Provençe Autonomous Región of southern France ..

The courses are:
A) A 7 French Cheese & Kirsch Clear Cherry Brandy Fondue .. Seved with assorted breads to put on fondue skewers to dip ..
B) Filet Mignon .. To dip the beef and fondue cook as you like your meat ..
Served with Home made Bernaise; also a Dijon Green Dip, a Dijon Classic Mustard Dip and an " Au jus Beef Gravy " Sauce ..
C) The final course of fondue is Black Chocolate and it is served with chunks of Bizcocho, Sponge cake and assorted seasonal fruits on skewers for dipping.
D) Last but not least, are my Mom in law´s Almond Flour French Macarons ( Chocolate triology, White Belgian, French Milk Chocolate with Praliné and Black Chocolate from Tuscany ) .. For the after dinner Champagne at 12am and the 12 Grape Ceremony.
It is done at the table and it is a scared family tradition which we do every 31st December ..

Have a lovely evening and weekend ..

Last edited:
Okay - show me yours and I will show you more of mine. :eek:
Great new thread!

Talking as a moderator now: We ask that recipes are posted as separate threads rather than 'embedded in posts'. The reason for this is that if they are in a general thread then they are not searchable as they will not have tags or titles.

@ElizabethB, I will edit your top post to create a new thread for the recipe. If members want to add recipes can they please post them as threads and then post a link back here.

@Francesca, can I also ask that you/members don't add too many ideas/recipes/items at once. One or two suggestions at a time is is fine - otherwise it becomes indigestible. Good pun eh? :D

Great new thread!

Talking as a moderator now: We ask that recipes are posted as separate threads rather than 'embedded in posts'. The reason for this is that if they are in a general thread then they are not searchable as they will not have tags or titles.

@ElizabethB, I will edit your top post to create a new thread for the recipe. If members want to add recipes can they please post them as threads and then post a link back here.

@Francesca, can I also ask that you/members don't add too many ideas/recipes/items at once. One or two suggestions at a time is is fine - otherwise it becomes indigestible. Good pun eh? :D

@morning glory

Understand .. No problem.
Have a nice wkend ..

A couple of decades ago there was a trend for a device known as a Raclette. I think it was named after a French cheese, but it was a combined hot plate and grill, and came with individual little frying pans, eight I think. You would put it in the middle of the table, fondue style, and everyone would cook their own little pans of food using pre prepared pieces of meat, fish, vegetables, cheeses etc. Party fun for four to six people. And lots of smoke.

A couple of decades ago there was a trend for a device known as a Raclette. I think it was named after a French cheese, but it was a combined hot plate and grill, and came with individual little frying pans, eight I think. You would put it in the middle of the table, fondue style, and everyone would cook their own little pans of food using pre prepared pieces of meat, fish, vegetables, cheeses etc. Party fun for four to six people. And lots of smoke.

@epicuric

The Swiss Raclette is the name of a Swiss cow cheese as well as a "Grill Device" ..

It is a gem of an invention and creates wonderful melted Raclette cheese with Baguette Canapés ..

Have a nice day ..

Crudité - in the US it is usually served with a ranch dressing. :sick:

I use a Basil or Dill Aioli.

Our last party had a woodsy theme so my crudité was arranged in the shape of an owl on a branch. Ramekins of Basil Aioli with an olive slice for the eyes.

Fun

I've been making lots of dips with crudités for daughter's lunch box - she is on a weight loss diet. No mayo in this case. They would work for parties too. But no double dipping please!

I remember those! The first time I ever saw one was at a party hosted by some "not quite so posh" people and nearly ended in a food fight, but the daughter of a friend of mine used to have two or three strategically placed at the buffets she used to arrange.

I haven't been to any buffet-style parties or meals for a while. The last ones I went to were leaving dos for people where I used to work, and these usually ended up with bowl upon bowl of crisps and the like, and loads of cake, and sausages or cheese on sticks, with just a few dishes of food that is either soggy or should really be served hot, with a complete lack of serving implements. Maybe it's because of my health issues (allergies and throat problems), but I do seem to get a bit paranoid about these sort of things.

However, I have been to a few good ones, where they have had a kitchen nearby or a decent barbecue or brick oven (and someone who knows how to use them properly) outside where hot food really is hot. Couple that with a few decent cold dishes (my favourites must be tiropita, or tarte owt of lente, because I really love cheese), a good salad, some really fresh bread, and a small selection of the sweet stuff, and I'd be there for hours.

Back
Top Bottom