Your favorite way to prepare potatoes

Shimus

Veteran
Local time
7:08 PM
Boil em' mash em' stick em' in a stew...

But truly, which is the best way in which you prepare your potatoes? Anything from personally sliced homefries and french fries to baked taters or twice baked taters, I love anything tater based. They often will go with any type of meal if you plan well (aside from pasta dishes, mind you) and they are inexpensive and fill you up (cheap college kid here).

So far, I've experienced about twenty or so different ways to cook, mash, break, or stew them. Which is your favorite? Why?

I like to eat potatoes in many forms, but the way I do them most of the time is to boil them and then mash them. A good way to use them is also in a Shepherd's pie. Potato salad is another favorite dish of mine. Although I also like french fries, the only time I eat these is when I buy them from a fast food restaurant. When I am making a stew, I would sometimes dice a potato and add it to the stew.

I don't really cook with regular potatoes but do a lot more with yams and sweet potatoes. I love to just roast them with oil, salt, and pepper. Also I like to dice them and put them in curries with kale and white beans. A pureed soup is also an easy way to stretch them into a whole meal.

I'm a sucker for home fries cooked at some greasy spoon diner on a well seasoned grill/griddle. I've been known to order two sides of them when I hit up those places because I love them so much. I make them at home a lot too, but it is a bit of extra work peeling, chopping and parboiling the potatoes before frying them up into home fries. Sometimes I will do the parboiling and chopping the night before, so I have a batch of these potatoes ready to go for frying up the next day or two. The only drawback to this is some times the potatoes will go "grey" on me unexpectedly. Some people say this is harmless and has to do with the potatoes coming into contact with stainless steel or other metals, but I've had it happen to me even when I was only using plastic utentils and bowls, and steamed the potatoes in my electric food steamer which is all plastic as well.

I also really enjoy making mashed potatoes, and they would be a close second. Some times I am in the mood for some really rich mashed potatoes so I will bake the potatoes and scoop out the insides into a bowl of warm milk, butter and salt to mix up. Other times I will cut, peel and boil the potatoes - usually red potatoes - and whip them up with butter, milk, and s&p until they are really light and fluffy, and not heavy and starchy.

My favourite thing to make from potatoes is good old chips, cooked in the fryer! I don't have them that often but they're so much better than frozen or oven chips. They're a lot cheaper too. I find Maris Pipers make the nicest chips. I'm not keen on mash at all, unless it's on top of a cottage pie.

Pomme purre ,either cook potato as jacket potato,or boil ,pass through a fine drum sieve add boiling milk and butter ,beat ,season well,you can't beat it if it's done properly

I love a good potato dish. I like them deep fried, baked, mashed, pan fried with butter and herbs, in a stew or soup, gnocchi is great, and potato pancakes are good too. When I was in my student years, potatoes were a godsend since they're so versatile and filling

We do not eat potatoes much in my house, I most often way we eat them is to french fry them. I like fried potatoes and onions also. Mashed potatoes do not go over very well in this house.

I do enjoy french fries but I never make them from the start. Mashed potatoes are nice and often I just boil them. Easy and fast.

Oh this is such a hard question to answer because there are so many wonderful delicous ways to cook a potato. I think my all time favorite though is mashed potatoes with lots of gravy on top...which a side of fried chicken or steak. Next to that, I think hasbrowns is my second favorite way to cook potatoes and I top mine off with cheese and sour cream.

HasselBack potatoes are my latest discovery in potatoes so I have been calling it my favourite in recent months. When it comes to potatoes, there seems to be not limit to the amount of things you can do. Even with the hasselback potatoes, I can take the recipe and put so many twist on it. That's the beauty of cooking and in this case potatoes.

HasselBack potatoes are my latest discovery in potatoes so I have been calling it my favourite in recent months. When it comes to potatoes, there seems to be not limit to the amount of things you can do. Even with the hasselback potatoes, I can take the recipe and put so many twist on it. That's the beauty of cooking and in this case potatoes.
I have a special board for these from Sweden that allows you to put the slices in the potato easier,
It's a great way to cook potatoes

I love a good potato dish. I like them deep fried, baked, mashed, pan fried with butter and herbs, in a stew or soup, gnocchi is great, and potato pancakes are good too. When I was in my student years, potatoes were a godsend since they're so versatile and filling
Me too!
Last week I made fried potato chips, although it's a bit of a failure.

Back
Top Bottom