Your favourite flours in home made bread

ambrosia

Veteran
Local time
10:22 AM
Since I can't tolerate commercial bread, I often make my own at home. I like using quinoa and amaranth flours as an alternative to the heavier flours such as wheat, oats and rye. I have also experimented with rice, millet and buckwheat flours, making different mixtures and adding a variety of herbs.
I have to say that my favourite bread is made with coconut flour. It's easy to digest and tastes wonderful with sesame butter as a desert.

Have you ever heard of Ezekiel bread? I also can't eat most commercial bread, but Ezekiel bread has some great ingredients in it. It is made with sprouted grains like wheat, barley, millet, lentils, soybeans and spelt.

Have either of you considered 'raw' breads? They are more like very thin crispbreads only softer and made with seed grains such as sunflower & linseed? My favourite being raw onion bread. They could be an alternative for both of you and I guess could be made in an oven if the temperature goes low enough - ideally they need a dehydrator to make them. If you are interested, I can post up my recipe later in the week when I make another batch.

Have you ever heard of Ezekiel bread? I also can't eat most commercial bread, but Ezekiel bread has some great ingredients in it. It is made with sprouted grains like wheat, barley, millet, lentils, soybeans and spelt.
Yes, I have seen it sitting in the fridge of health food stores, but I have never tried it. Now that you mention it, I will try and get some next week when I have friends visiting. If I can't tolerate it, it won't get wasted. :)

Have either of you considered 'raw' breads? They are more like very thin crispbreads only softer and made with seed grains such as sunflower & linseed? My favourite being raw onion bread. They could be an alternative for both of you and I guess could be made in an oven if the temperature goes low enough - ideally they need a dehydrator to make them. If you are interested, I can post up my recipe later in the week when I make another batch.
Yes, absolutely, please post your recipe if it's not a precious secret. ;-) I have never heard of raw bread. And raw onion bread sounds intriguing since I really love the taste of onions. Could one also make raw garlic bread? What exactly is a dehydrator? Something like a special oven? I am looking forward to try this out!

Yes, absolutely, please post your recipe if it's not a precious secret. ;-) I have never heard of raw bread. And raw onion bread sounds intriguing since I really love the taste of onions. Could one also make raw garlic bread? What exactly is a dehydrator? Something like a special oven? I am looking forward to try this out!

Hi, I have written up my variation on the original recipe here (Raw Onion Bread). We use any onions and add some sweetness using something called agave nectar but any sweet syrup could be used or even sweet onions if you can a) find them and b) afford them! There would be no reason as to why you could not add garlic to the mix, we often add oregano which works really well with onions.

A dehydrator is a piece of kitchen equipment that runs at lower temperatures than an oven, designed to dehydrate without cooking the food in the dehydrator. It has a thermostat and a fan and can be used for all sorts of foods (raw breads, preserving any fruit or veg, making fruit leathers etc), including using it as a proving area for normal breads, yoghurts and cheeses etc. I have an Excalibur Dehydrator, this is the link to the company, however I suggest you try using your oven at its lowest setting first probably with the door ajar slightly and consider picking up one second hand (both of the ones I have had were purchased second hand off ebay). Don't put the bread mix on waxed paper though, it can melt into the bread...

Since I can't tolerate commercial bread, I often make my own at home. I like using quinoa and amaranth flours as an alternative to the heavier flours such as wheat, oats and rye. I have also experimented with rice, millet and buckwheat flours, making different mixtures and adding a variety of herbs.
I have to say that my favourite bread is made with coconut flour. It's easy to digest and tastes wonderful with sesame butter as a desert.
I like spelt flour and amaranth, but wheat flour seems to make the best overall bread, maybe not the best health choice but the bread has more of an authentic look and feel.

Back
Top Bottom