Your favourite soup for the hot months of the year

ambrosia

Veteran
Local time
9:08 AM
What's your favourite food during summer? I like to make light vegetable soups, adding cooling herbs such as mint. I am also fond of tomato soup with avocado and walnuts. But I have been known to create winter soups in the middle of summer, only to be consumed at room temperature. I simply like the thick consistency and the various spices that make it tasty. It's more "summer puree" for me. :)
How about you?

I've had cravings for chilled cucumber soup ever since I saw it mentioned in the film A Series of Unfortunate Events. I suppose that chilled vegetable soups are technically juices, though... like V8, I consider that just a cold vegetable soup! Cold pumpkin or squash soup is another thing I really like.

Cold congee... never! Ick. Although granted, I think I may have mentioned a sticky rice porridge with cocoa powder called tsamporado that is actually wonderful after spending a couple of hours in the refrigerator and diluted with evaporated milk.

Chilled cucumber soup is really wonderful during the hot weather but other than that I generally eat soup in the summer. I am a conspicuous consumer of them when its cold but have no taste for them when it is sweltering out.

I've had cravings for chilled cucumber soup ever since I saw it mentioned in the film A Series of Unfortunate Events. I suppose that chilled vegetable soups are technically juices, though... like V8, I consider that just a cold vegetable soup! Cold pumpkin or squash soup is another thing I really like.

Cold congee... never! Ick. Although granted, I think I may have mentioned a sticky rice porridge with cocoa powder called tsamporado that is actually wonderful after spending a couple of hours in the refrigerator and diluted with evaporated milk.
Congee is something that I can't eat at all. I am allergic to rice and cow milk. Wouldn't it give you a feeling of fullness on a hot day?
Tsamporado sounds interesting. I wonder if one could use quinoa or amaranth instead of rice, and create a similar sticky porridge. I think the combination of cocoa and quinoa could be particularly interesting. :)

Congee is something that I can't eat at all. I am allergic to rice and cow milk. Wouldn't it give you a feeling of fullness on a hot day?

Tsamporado sounds interesting. I wonder if one could use quinoa or amaranth instead of rice, and create a similar sticky porridge. I think the combination of cocoa and quinoa could be particularly interesting. :)

Tsamporado is an Asian version of a Mexican dish, so it originally used to be made out of corn and chocolate (and called champurrado), so, sure, why not other carbs? I even made a chocolate and mashed potato cake, once. Mashed potato chocolate porridge would be interesting!

Congee's quite a thin porridge, so, like Chinese food tends to do, even if you feel full it won't last for very long.

A mexican restaurant near me has a really good tomato soup with cream and really small shrimps that I enjoy on hot summer days. Maybe it's the atmosphere inside the restaurant or the ingredients they use but I just couldn't handle to make such a good soup at home ever. I sometimes even go there only for the soup, just because it's so good altough they also have great steaks and ribs and baked potatoes. I really enjoy that restaurant but I'd love to be able to make that soup at home too.

It's hot almost year round here, so my taste in soup doesn't really change as I've already grown used to eating the hot variety even in hot weather. My favorite remains to be french onion soup, although when it's really hot, I might go for something less rich like tomato soup with some toasted bread.

Tsamporado is an Asian version of a Mexican dish, so it originally used to be made out of corn and chocolate (and called champurrado), so, sure, why not other carbs? I even made a chocolate and mashed potato cake, once. Mashed potato chocolate porridge would be interesting!

Congee's quite a thin porridge, so, like Chinese food tends to do, even if you feel full it won't last for very long.
Chocolate and mashed potato cake sounds really exotic. Did you use sweet potatoes or the ordinary ones? There are so many, to me unusual, combinations of food that are quite common in different countries, and that I have never heard of. Did you make your cake for a special occasion or was it an experiment?

I had a variation of gazpacho made with yellow peppers and it is my new favorite...just wish I knew how to make it. It had the same consistency as gazpacho but had a bit more flavor to it, from the peppers, pickled jalapenos and tomatoes were used as garnish and some type of vinaigrette was drizzled over the top for some added flavor.

Soup soup soup.

It's always the same kind for me, without fail. Vegetable soup, preferably homemade. It's got to be proper soup at that, none of that cream of nonsense!

my favourite soup is sweetcorn soup because it tastes both sweet and sour.
i love the garnishing of the soup.

In summer, I often make a soup that I call Mediterranean soup because it consists of courgettes (zuccini), peppers and tomatoes. In the winter, I either make a vegetable broth or pea and ham soup. The broth usually has carrots, potatoes, pearl barley, celery, onion and savoy cabbage. I often add dumplings to the broth.

Back
Top Bottom