Your Favourite starch - and are you eating enough starch?

Discussion in 'From Healthier Eating to Sports Nutrition' started by morning glory, 5 Jun 2019.

1. Yorky

Yorky Uncomfortably numb Recipe Challenge Judge

I'll tell you a story about growing it.

2. Mountain Cat

Mountain Cat Active Member

I never see brown rice here for Indian cooking, but I do see it (about half the time) for Thai. I do know (academically) that India does sometimes use brown rice, but I really love the white basmati rices in combination with the Indian dishes I've had or cooked on my own.

I think both brown and white rices provide health benefits - just different ones.

3. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

I prefer basmati with Indian too. Its aromatic and it is much better at setting off curry flavours (I think).

@Yorky - do you see brown rice used in Thai dishes in Thailand?

Mountain Cat likes this.
  4. Yorky

Yorky Uncomfortably numb Recipe Challenge Judge

We don't eat out much but on the times that we have, I can say that I've never seen brown/black rice served in a local restaurant. Don't forget that I'm out in the sticks, not in the metropolis. My snooker mate eats out a lot in Bangkok, I'll ask him tomorrow.

If I remember, of course.

rascal and morning glory like this.
  5. rascal

rascal Über Member

I've stayed in Bangkok a couple of times, I've never seen brown rice served. In hotel or eating out.

Russ