Your Photos

Eating the whole thing, bones and all, is easy with the usual UK sized 1" long ones. These were all 2" - 4" long, too small to fillet but too big for the bones not to be a problem. The meat on them was worth the pain though!
Yes 'meat' on the bone - be it fish or meat - does make it more tasty. When I see boned joints I am not tempted...ease of carving taking precedence over flavour!

Yes 'meat' on the bone - be it fish or meat - does make it more tasty. When I see boned joints I am not tempted...ease of carving taking precedence over flavour!
Agree totally, but I do struggle with Caribbean dishes - all that chicken chopped up small with bones intact. Gets in the way of enjoying an otherwise fantastic meal!

My hubby told me he wanted to move to FL when he retired after we became engaged. I told him he would have to find someone else because I didn't want to live somewhere that was hot seven or eight months of the year. He married me instead. As his consolation "prize", we spend a week at a resort on Florida's west coast. This is our view from our room:

2014-11-19 17.36.26.jpg

Eating the whole thing, bones and all, is easy with the usual UK sized 1" long ones. These were all 2" - 4" long, too small to fillet but too big for the bones not to be a problem. The meat on them was worth the pain though!
Why I don't eat fish :thumbsdown:
Reminds me of when I used to go on trips with my ex (he was a coach driver). One of the places we used to go to regularly in the summer (?Brighton) had a nudist beach opposite the coach park :D Grandstand view :roflmao:
That could be downright scary :eek:

My hubby told me he wanted to move to FL when he retired after we became engaged. I told him he would have to find someone else because I didn't want to live somewhere that was hot seven or eight months of the year. He married me instead. As his consolation "prize", we spend a week at a resort on Florida's west coast. This is our view from our room:

View attachment 7057
Get it blown up, covering the window and turn the heating up!

Will only work to best effect if you're up first.

Why I don't eat fish :thumbsdown:

That could be downright scary :eek:
Don't be put off. Bigger fish usually = bigger bones that are easy to avoid (salmon, swordfish, cod etc). Small fish (anchovies, whitebait, kippers etc) the bones are small and soft so can be eaten. It's the ones in between that can be tricky, but well worth the effort. I have come to really love fish over the past couple of years, probably due to finding a couple of really good fishmongers locally. And it's a really environmentally friendly source of food. Apart from the farmed stuff it has pretty much zero input, unlike meat. The oily ones are so good for you too.

View attachment 7057
I so envy you Americans in the diversity of climate you have!

IMG_1497.JPG

An ancient amphora, used to carry wine or olive oil, 2500BC. Over 4500 years ago - mind blowing. Amazing how the human race developed so little for thousands of years then just went for it in the last hundred years or so. I suspect that we have peaked, and are now heading down hill.

Visited the ancient city of Kourion this morning. Very thought provoking.

Don't be put off. Bigger fish usually = bigger bones that are easy to avoid (salmon, swordfish, cod etc). Small fish (anchovies, whitebait, kippers etc) the bones are small and soft so can be eaten. It's the ones in between that can be tricky, but well worth the effort. I have come to really love fish over the past couple of years, probably due to finding a couple of really good fishmongers locally. And it's a really environmentally friendly source of food. Apart from the farmed stuff it has pretty much zero input, unlike meat. The oily ones are so good for you too.

I really agree - swordfish is an excellent fish and I use it a lot as it can stand up to robust flavours - and if you buy swordfish steaks there is no bone at all. Another one to try is ray wing or skate wing. Loads of bones but none that will get in your mouth since you simply scrape the flesh away - delicious.

I really agree - swordfish is an excellent fish and I use it a lot as it can stand up to robust flavours - and if you buy swordfish steaks there is no bone at all. Another one to try is ray wing or skate wing. Loads of bones but none that will get in your mouth since you simply scrape the flesh away - delicious.
Yes, had swordfish for lunch today - why it came to mind. Flat fish are also easy to dissect, Dover or lemon sole etc.

I so envy you Americans in the diversity of climate you have!
Curious as to why. Even though the US has many different climates, we still have to travel many kilometers to change climates. Example, the poster that mentioned Florida, she has to travel over 2100 kilometers to go from her home state to Florida.
Just for me to go to the gulf Coast is nearly 1000 kilometers and if I want to go to either actual coast it is between 1600 and 3000 kilometers.

Curious as to why. Even though the US has many different climates, we still have to travel many kilometers to change climates. Example, the poster that mentioned Florida, she has to travel over 2100 kilometers to go from her home state to Florida.
Just for me to go to the gulf Coast is nearly 1000 kilometers and if I want to go to either actual coast it is between 1600 and 3000 kilometers.

Yes, but you can do that just by jumping on a plane or driving. You can choose to live in Alaska or Florida without loads of paperwork or learning a foreign language.

Back
Top Bottom