Your Photos

This feels more like Chernobyl than SW Ohio:

IMG_7691.jpeg

Cue Mellencamp:

IMG_7700.jpeg

“Well, I was born in a small town…”

Actually, the town I was born in was just a bit smaller than that.

our property has 'trees to the left of us, trees to the right of us, trees behind us . . . '
behind us is in fact about 20 acres deeded over to "green space" - no meddling, no development . . .

early on we had two mated pairs of cardinals. they do not 'migrate' - they are here all year long.
cardinals are 'territorial' - and (sigh) one pair left for scarcer cardinal grounds.....

I have a suction cup feed for safflower seeds - it's unusual to see both the male and female cardinals on the feeder at the same time . . . safflower is their fav food . . .
(the debris on top of the feeder is from a second feeder "above" . . . )

terrible pix - iPhone at max telephoto extension . .
IMG_3302.JPG

early on we had two mated pairs of cardinals. they do not 'migrate' - they are here all year long.
I spread feed out on the back concrete slab and the back deck (as well as filling two feeders), and we get quite the menagerie of birds, including plenty of cardinals.

Among my favorites are the doves, mainly because they seem the most relaxed, and even the other more aggressive birds don’t really bother them, and they don’t bother anyone else.

I spread feed out on the back concrete slab and the back deck (as well as filling two feeders), and we get quite the menagerie of birds, including plenty of cardinals.

Among my favorites are the doves, mainly because they seem the most relaxed, and even the other more aggressive birds don’t really bother them, and they don’t bother anyone else.
we have multiple nesting mourning doves - they nest in the eaves just outside our bedroom window . . . cute, but sometimes I'm not thrilled with the 5AM coo'ing . . . .

going out on a limb . . .
1709842629947.png

I saw this teeny tiny little rainbow on the way to the train station this morning!
View attachment 110844
That's not a rainbow. It's called a 22° parhelion (singular) or parhelia (plural if there is one on the other side of the sun as well) or a Sundog.

It is caused by a certain type of ice crystal in the upper atmosphere that is breaking light rays into the colours.

I use this website (Sundogs, Sun Dogs, Parhelia, Mock Suns) as my main source regarding atmospheric phenomenon such as the sunhalo I saw earlier this week.

Back
Top Bottom