Recipe Yucatan Style Pork Chops

CraigC

Guru
Local time
6:05 AM
Some cumin rice, green rice or red rice, Mexican based flavors of course, would be a great side. White rice with refried beans would also work.

Ingredients
2 Cups water
3 Tbsp kosher salt
2 bay leaves
1 tsp whole allspice
4 large bone in pork chops
1 large white onion with skin, quartered through core, leaving some core still attached to each quarter
1 Cup sour orange juice or 1/2 Cup orange juice and 1/2 Cup lime juice
1/4 Cup coarsely chopped cilantro and 1/4 Cup cilantro leaves
1/2 small green cabbage, thinly sliced
1 avocado, halved lengthwise, pitted, scooping out flesh from each half, sliced (sprinkle with lime juice to prevent browning
1 bunch radishes, trimmed and sliced thinly
Warm corn or flour tortillas
Disposable 11x8 aluminum drip pan

Directions
1) In a medium bowl, stir/whisk water, allspice, pepper corns, bay leaves until salt dissolves.
2) Arrange pork chops in a single layer in a 13x9 baking dish and pour the brine over them, flipping once. I just put them in a zip-lok bag, inside a bowl, and pour the marinade over them.
3) Refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
4) Start one chimney full of coals and set drip pan in center of charcoal grate, adding water to just below the rim. When coals are ready, sprinkle them evenly on both sides of the drip pan, add a chunk of your favorite smoking wood to each pile of coals, add cooking grate, cover and let heat up for 5 minutes. Remove cover, clean cooking grate with grill brush and lightly coat/spray with cooking oil. ( If using chips, make 2 packets out of heavy duty foil with the DRY chips inside, punching holes in the foil for smoke to escape. Place one packet on each pile of coals.
5) Grill onion quarters until browned, turning as needed. The skin may burn. About 3 minutes per side. Cool and peel. Thinly slice and place in a non-reactive bowl. Add orange juice, season to taste with salt and add chopped cilantro, mixing to combine.
6) Remove chops from marinade and pat dry. Grill covered, over drip pan until cooked through, 4-6 minutes per side. Transfer to plate and let rest 10 minutes.
7) Arrange cabbage on a platter. Top with pork, avocado and radishes. Drain onions and scatter over the pork and veges. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves and serve with warm tortillas.

I really must start using the BBQ when the weather improves. Its a brick built home-made job and was here when we bought this house. Its currently referred to as the garden store by my gardener. Its not been used for years and is stuffed full of plant pots and other bits and pieces.

Grill covered, over drip pan until cooked through, 4-6 minutes per side.

However, reading through this I wouldn't be able to do this sort of recipe on a BBQ. It needs an outdoor oven with a chimney.

I really must start using the BBQ when the weather improves. Its a brick built home-made job and was here when we bought this house. Its currently referred to as the garden store by my gardener. Its not been used for years and is stuffed full of plant pots and other bits and pieces.

However, reading through this I wouldn't be able to do this sort of recipe on a BBQ. It needs an outdoor oven with a chimney.

Can you say Egg?:whistling:

Can you say Egg?:whistling:
I can say it but I can't afford it. I spotted two of them in the garden of an excellent fine dining restaurant not long ago.

20180309_154800.jpg

Some cumin rice, green rice or red rice, Mexican based flavors of course, would be a great side. White rice with refried beans would also work.

Ingredients
2 Cups water
3 Tbsp kosher salt
2 bay leaves
1 tsp whole allspice
4 large bone in pork chops
1 large white onion with skin, quartered through core, leaving some core still attached to each quarter
1 Cup sour orange juice or 1/2 Cup orange juice and 1/2 Cup lime juice
1/4 Cup coarsely chopped cilantro and 1/4 Cup cilantro leaves
1/2 small green cabbage, thinly sliced
1 avocado, halved lengthwise, pitted, scooping out flesh from each half, sliced (sprinkle with lime juice to prevent browning
1 bunch radishes, trimmed and sliced thinly
Warm corn or flour tortillas
Disposable 11x8 aluminum drip pan

Directions
1) In a medium bowl, stir/whisk water, allspice, pepper corns, bay leaves until salt dissolves.
2) Arrange pork chops in a single layer in a 13x9 baking dish and pour the brine over them, flipping once. I just put them in a zip-lok bag, inside a bowl, and pour the marinade over them.
3) Refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
4) Start one chimney full of coals and set drip pan in center of charcoal grate, adding water to just below the rim. When coals are ready, sprinkle them evenly on both sides of the drip pan, add a chunk of your favorite smoking wood to each pile of coals, add cooking grate, cover and let heat up for 5 minutes. Remove cover, clean cooking grate with grill brush and lightly coat/spray with cooking oil. ( If using chips, make 2 packets out of heavy duty foil with the DRY chips inside, punching holes in the foil for smoke to escape. Place one packet on each pile of coals.
5) Grill onion quarters until browned, turning as needed. The skin may burn. About 3 minutes per side. Cool and peel. Thinly slice and place in a non-reactive bowl. Add orange juice, season to taste with salt and add chopped cilantro, mixing to combine.
6) Remove chops from marinade and pat dry. Grill covered, over drip pan until cooked through, 4-6 minutes per side. Transfer to plate and let rest 10 minutes.
7) Arrange cabbage on a platter. Top with pork, avocado and radishes. Drain onions and scatter over the pork and veges. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves and serve with warm tortillas.

This recipe sounds very interesting...only one problem for me...I have a gas grill and really don't do smoking....can this be done straight up on a gas grill ?

This recipe sounds very interesting...only one problem for me...I have a gas grill and really don't do smoking....can this be done straight up on a gas grill ?

I don't see why you can't. You can also make packets of foil wrapped wood chips and use those on your gas grill. I don't have a gas grill so I couldn't tell you how to set up your grill burners. I'm sure someone else here has done smoking on a gasser.

Back
Top Bottom