Recipe Za'atar

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
7:27 PM
I love Za'atar especially in the summer in salads on humous. Here is my take on it:

• 1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
  • 3 tbsp sumac
  • 2 tbsp thyme
  • 4 tbsp oregano
  • maldon sea salt to taste. I think put in two teaspoons
I used this to sprinkled on tahini cream for this cauliflower steak with sumac and spring greens dish: https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/cauliflower-steaks.12217/

Mix all up and you are done. I've seen recipes with cumin and coriander in so will try that next time.

I love Za'atar especially in the summer in salads on humous. Here is my take on it:

• 1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
  • 3 tbsp sumac
  • 2 tbsp thyme
  • 4 tbsp oregano
  • maldon sea salt to taste. I think put in two teaspoons
I used this to sprinkled on tahini cream for this cauliflower steak with sumac and spring greens dish: https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/cauliflower-steaks.12217/

Mix all up and you are done. I've seen recipes with cumin and coriander in so will try that next time.
Ooooooooo! I love Za'atar it's a famous seasoning here in Egypt. There are actually two types of za'atar which is Greece and Syrian za'atar. Your recipe is for the Syrian za'atar. The Greece za'atar is nothing special to be honest just oregano and thyme mixed together. I never knew there were two types until I asked the herb guy at the store for it and he said which one Greece or Syrian. It's one of my favorites.

Ooooooooo! I love Za'atar it's a famous seasoning here in Egypt. There are actually two types of za'atar which is Greece and Syrian za'atar. Your recipe is for the Syrian za'atar. The Greece za'atar is nothing special to be honest just oregano and thyme mixed together. I never knew there were two types until I asked the herb guy at the store for it and he said which one Greece or Syrian. It's one of my favorites.
It is confusing but za'atar is a generic name for herbs like oregano and thyme, as well as the middle eastern herb and spice mix.

Back
Top Bottom