Zinfandel or Chianti with your pizza

Pat

Veteran
Local time
7:59 PM
What wine would you pair with a pepperoni pizza? How about a Zinfandel or a Chianti?

Which do you think would be better with the pizza?

For me, it's Chianti, hands down, but then, I don't put pepperoni on my pizza. In general, if the pizza in question has tomato sauce, you can probably go with almost any light to medium bodied Italian red. If it has a garlic or other sauce you could possibly go with a dry rose or even a white wine. You should experiment with bottles of your favorite in each varietal.

Unfortunately, I am allergic to red or blush wines. So Zinfandel and Chianti are definitely out the question for me. It sounds like Chanell is quite knowledgeable about wine selection, though :)

Who cares - drink what you like, besides it's fun to experiment. Food and wine are one of the few things left you can enjoy [if you ignore the white coat secret police]

Pepperoni pizza - any inexpensive Italian red will do. So either zin (aka primitivo in italy) or chianti would be fine. Or as sidevalve says, anything you like! My current preference is for a Sangiovese/Primitivo blend from Puglia.
The important thing is do not go overboard with the budget. I have tried very expensive chianti or other Italian wines and they do not work. This goes against my usual advice of going for the most expensive wine you can afford!!
Pizza is a simple dish, the wine should be similarly simple.

Back
Top Bottom