Zyliss Swift Dry Large Salad Spinner

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
8:09 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
you know when you're thinking of one thing and your other half comes home with something entirely different...

yep, that's what happened yesterday. I'd put a salad spinner on the shipping list because I'm fed up of constantly having wet tea towels hanging around drying and also of having to go outside every time I want to dry some leaves for a salad (I've been putting them into a weigh bag and whizzing it around my head a few times to get the water off the leaves....).

so hubby came home with this.
I hope it does last the 5 years of its warranty! it's not the $20 job I was thinking of that's for sure.

Zyliss Swift Dry Large Salad Spinner 77388
at least I don't have to clear the draining board to use it on the bright side!

he also came home with a cherry stone pitter, also my request after going into work yesterday and finding a lot of cherries Odin the fridge from the building owner as a Christmas gift for office staff. no-one else will be in again before they go bad and they had been there several days as it was, so after a discussion with his boss, i now have 1kg of very good quality fresh cherries to process this weekend.

Last edited:
A salad spinner is essential at our house - I have two, actually. One is for bigger items, like a full head of lettuce, and the other is for smaller things, like a bunch of herbs. One or the other gets used just about daily.

Ours are Oxo ones:

I also have an OXO salad spinner -- the smaller one. One of the best kitchen inventions ever, IMO.

CD

A salad spinner is essential at our house - I have two, actually. One is for bigger items, like a full head of lettuce, and the other is for smaller things, like a bunch of herbs. One or the other gets used just about daily.

Ours are Oxo ones:

View attachment 77391
View attachment 77392

I don't understand. You mean you all wash salad leaves? :ohmy: :laugh:

I try not to. If I feel I have to, I rinse and shake each leaf a bit into the sink. A bit of a water on a leaf doesn't ruin a salad. Generally I don't wash salad leaves at all. If I was bringing them in from a garden and they had greenfly on them or something, then of course I would. But lettuces I get from the supermarket seem to be completely free of bugs or dirt.

I don't wash herbs either.

I don't understand. You mean you all wash salad leaves? :ohmy: :laugh:

I try not to. If I feel I have to, I rinse and shake each leaf a bit into the sink. A bit of a water on a leaf doesn't ruin a salad. Generally I don't wash salad leaves at all. If I was bringing them in from a garden and they had greenfly on them or something, then of course I would. But lettuces I get from the supermarket seem to be completely free of bugs or dirt.

I don't wash herbs either.

I don't wash all my fresh produce, but if I see signs of a little dirt, I do. I like a crunchy salad, but not THAT crunchy. Salad spinners are good for removing water from a lot of other wet things, like frozen spinach that has been thawed, or shredded potatoes that have been soaked in water to remove some starch.

CD

I don't understand. You mean you all wash salad leaves?
Pretty much, even the stuff that's marked washed and ready to eat, because letting them sit in some water for a few minutes seems to revitalize them and removes that weird-tasting preservative they get treated with.

Stuff that hasn't been washed, like a whole head of romaine, will have quite a lot of grit in it, and since they constantly spray it at the grocery store, it gets little wilted rotting bits on it as well, so I like to rinse that off.

If you google "should I wash lettuce," you'll likely find several articles that say you should. I do remember this was a topic shortly after I joined here and I remember one such article that advocated washing your produce, and one reason given, from a grocery store produce worker was, "Well, it's not too clean in the storeroom, and we drop that stuff on the floor a lot!" :laugh:

I certainly wash leaves from the supermarket. They are one of the biggest causes of food poisoning with both E.coli and listeria often present especially in cut leaves. Listeria feeds off dead plant maternal. Anything cut away from its roots counts as dead plant material. I know about 10 years ago, 5 or 6 people died and 300 or more were left seriously in from E. coli poisoning in germany traced back to supermarket leaves/lettuce iirc. That's enough to get me to wash stuff from a supermarket. Any kind of upset tum will leave me needing serious doses of steriods (i've a kit at home to inject myself with in the event, along with strict instructions to attend hospital immediately) and hospitalisation. Mind you i'm washing them in untreated rain water!

I don't often wash stuff grown at home I have to admit especially with herbs. Lettuce depends on what's visibly on it.

German authorities blame 'bad luck' in E.coli deaths
Attack of the poisoned lettuces! The dangers lurking in pre-packaged salad leaves
Spinach recall: 5 faces. 5 agonizing deaths. 1 year later.

Last edited:
The only thing I grow at home are herbs, and they definitely get washed, just because of any bird poop that might be in them.
in my experience bird 'poop' is usually visible, plus I general add that as manure :whistling:

and my herbs tend to come from young growth which minimises that possibility. I'm more concerned with what happens outside of my garden tbh.

As far as herbs, I only wash my oregano (thoroughly), because PsychoPoodle sometimes pees on it. :rolleyes:

CD
We have bird feeders by the herb garden, and they're all over it, hunting for seeds that fell out of the feeders, and we also get chipmunks doing the same, so into the spinner it goes.

Plus, it's easier to just toss stuff in and wash it really quickly instead of inspecting each and every leaf for this and that. Something's going to get washed anyway, so may as well just throw it all in.

you know when you're thinking of one thing and your other half comes home with something entirely different...

yep, that's what happened yesterday. I'd put a salad spinner on the shipping list because I'm fed up of constantly having wet tea towels hanging around drying and also of having to go outside every time I want to dry some leaves for a salad (I've been putting them into a weigh bag and whizzing it around my head a few times to get the water off the leaves....).

so hubby came home with this.
I hope it does last the 5 years of its warranty! it's not the $20 job I was thinking of that's for sure.

Zyliss Swift Dry Large Salad SpinnerView attachment 77388
at least I don't have to clear the draining board to use it on the bright side!

he also came home with a cherry stone pitter, also my request after going into work yesterday and finding a lot of cherries Odin the fridge from the building owner as a Christmas gift for office staff. no-one else will be in again before they go bad and they had been there several days as it was, so after a discussion with his boss, i now have 1kg of very good quality fresh cherries to process this weekend.
the good news is that it actually works really well, and I do like the fact that I don't have to have it on the draining board or a plate...

the bad news, those cherries and that cherry stoner. hum. going to have to rethink how or where I use it. the cherries sprayed the walls, table, floor, me, and everything for several meters around with cherry juice as I de-stoned them. thankfully our landlady used proper kitchen paint in the kitchen diner when she painted, so it has a sheen to it rather than a matt finish, so i was able to carefully wipe the walls down to get the cherry juice spray off... for one very looking meal (lunch) i thought i was going to have to repaint the kitchen diner... :facepalm:

I certainly wash leaves from the supermarket. They are one of the biggest causes of food poisoning with both E.coli and listeria often present especially in cut leaves.

See below:
Washing the produce at home is not a reliable way to remove bacteria.

"The bacteria can be stuck on the surface of the lettuce, it can even get inside the lettuce," Goodridge says. "So if you wash it, you might remove some of the bacteria, but you're not removing 100 per cent. And we know in some cases, when we look at historical outbreaks of E. coli, even ingesting one single bacterial cell was enough to cause illness."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/lettuce-e-coli-contamination-1.4913956

Also: Listeria on lettuce — you can wash but you can't eliminate

Back
Top Bottom