The CookingBites recipe challenge: ginger

Last entry from me: Cauliflower and Tomato Curry with Ginger
I couldn't possibly have left this challenge without an Indian recipe, because their cuisine uses ginger abundantly. The basic Indian "trinity/mirepoix/sofrito" is garlic, ginger and chile peppers. Restaurants have huge jars of ready prepared garlic-ginger paste, so they don't have to chop things every day. Ginger is an essential ingredient in many chutneys and pickles.
In this recipe, the ginger goes really well with the cauliflower and really well with the tomato. I had this for dinner last night with some Basmati rice and some pakoras.
Cauliflower tomato curry with ginger 1.jpg
Pakoras with carrots.jpg

Last entry from me: Cauliflower and Tomato Curry with Ginger
I couldn't possibly have left this challenge without an Indian recipe, because their cuisine uses ginger abundantly. The basic Indian "trinity/mirepoix/sofrito" is garlic, ginger and chile peppers. Restaurants have huge jars of ready prepared garlic-ginger paste, so they don't have to chop things every day. Ginger is an essential ingredient in many chutneys and pickles.
In this recipe, the ginger goes really well with the cauliflower and really well with the tomato. I had this for dinner last night with some Basmati rice and some pakoras.
View attachment 112768View attachment 112769
Looks great!

Ok, my last one, and it’s taken several days to arrive:

Recipe - Ginger Liqueur

Poking around different places online, looking for ginger recipes, I found this, and it advertises itself as a Domaine de Canton clone - ginger-honey-vanilla liqueur.

Great! Let’s do it!

Really simple, the hardest part, as Tom Petty reminds us, is the waiting - a quick simmering of the some of the ingredients, some brandy and orange zest added in, then it’s three whole days before you can sample it.

Good news is…it’s worth the wait. Oh, is it worth the wait!

Now, everything I read about Domaine de Canton, including their own website (where they have a vinaigrette recipe using the stuff - must try!), indicates that while it can be sipped as a cordial (chilled), it’s really best suited as a punchy little addition to other cocktails, so my first use was in a Tom Collins, adding the liqueur in place of the usual simple syrup. I posted that earlier in the Whatcha Drinking topic.

Outstanding, and for people who don’t like that pine tree aftershave taste of gin, the ginger-honey-vanilla combination really lessens that quite significantly - easily the tastiest, smoothest Tommy C. I’ve ever had.

However, before I could adequately provide a write-up here, I felt I did need to sample it in its original form, so I stuck it in the fridge this morning, and had a taste at lunch:

Oh. My. 🤤

I must differ with all the opinions across the internet that say this isn’t worthy as a standalone libation - it’s gingery-honeyish-vanillalicious!

Seriously, look at those syrupy legs running down the glass, the beautiful sunset-gold color…it’s hard not to imagine the taste.

The taste? Oh, it’s divine - spicy from the ginger, warm from the brandy base, and sweet from the honey and vanilla, and it’s a double belly-warmer; both the ginger and the brandy warms the innards, while the honey and sugar smooth it all out.

If there’s a heaven, this is the welcome drink served when you get there.

TY Reuben, I shall get to judgin!
Lots of great ones on this challenge that will no doubt make my decision that much more difficult.
In case you haven't concluded judging, the easiest way to see all entries with links is to click on the cookingbites recipe challenge tag. The entries are then displayed over one or two pages.

Last edited:
Well another challenge has come and gone and I must say I was really impressed with all the entries received. Not just quantity but quality. There wasn’t a single contribution I wouldn’t gladly try. I went through each page in this thread multiple times trying to drill it down to a winner and several honorable mentions. I’m not use to being on the judging end and I gotta say that with all these wonderful recipes and pics it did not make things easy for me. Thank you everyone for all the kitchen work you put into these, I know it’s not always easy and can be time consuming.

First some honorable mentions
TastyReuben - your Ginger Marinated Chicken and Ginger Liqueur are on my list of things to try.
badjak - Those Spring Rolls looks fabulous. Nice and crunchy looking!
karadekoolaid - Your Burmese Tomato Noodles looks absolutely delicious and is something I have not cooked yet.
Herbaceous - Your Moroccan Chicken Tagine looks great. I haven’t made a good Tagine lately and may have to soon.

Winner
Windigo I have decided to go with your lovely Jeweled Carrot Cake. I’m not much of a sweet tooth but I do love a good carrot cake, especially when infused with Ginger. Your cake looks extremely moist and I love the use of Crème Fraiche for the frosting. I kept coming back to this recipe so much I plan on making some this week to take into work and share. I hope mine wil come out as decadent as yours.

Again thank you for everyone’s contributions, everything looked magnificent! The foodie baton has once again been passed along and Windigo is up at bat.

Well another challenge has come and gone and I must say I was really impressed with all the entries received. Not just quantity but quality. There wasn’t a single contribution I wouldn’t gladly try. I went through each page in this thread multiple times trying to drill it down to a winner and several honorable mentions. I’m not use to being on the judging end and I gotta say that with all these wonderful recipes and pics it did not make things easy for me. Thank you everyone for all the kitchen work you put into these, I know it’s not always easy and can be time consuming.

First some honorable mentions
TastyReuben - your Ginger Marinated Chicken and Ginger Liqueur are on my list of things to try.
badjak - Those Spring Rolls looks fabulous. Nice and crunchy looking!
karadekoolaid - Your Burmese Tomato Noodles looks absolutely delicious and is something I have not cooked yet.
Herbaceous - Your Moroccan Chicken Tagine looks great. I haven’t made a good Tagine lately and may have to soon.

Winner
Windigo I have decided to go with your lovely Jeweled Carrot Cake. I’m not much of a sweet tooth but I do love a good carrot cake, especially when infused with Ginger. Your cake looks extremely moist and I love the use of Crème Fraiche for the frosting. I kept coming back to this recipe so much I plan on making some this week to take into work and share. I hope mine wil come out as decadent as yours.

Again thank you for everyone’s contributions, everything looked magnificent! The foodie baton has once again been passed along and Windigo is up at bat.
Hurrah, thank you! 🥳 it took me three years but I've finally won a challenge 😄 let me know how you like it when you made it!

I have to think hard on a new challenge 🤔 is cream cheese an option? and nut based cream cheese for the vegans?

Last edited:
I don’t see why not:wink:
Here is a List of previously used ingredients for reference:wink:
Thanks! OK: Cream cheese is the new challenge everyone 🔥
Nut based cream cheese for the vegans. And low lactose cream cheese for those with lactose intolerance is OK too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom