“Comfort zone” cooking

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
12:21 AM
I’m terrible at coherently presenting a new topic (which is why I don’t start many!), but the last few weeks, I’ve been thinking about the so-called “comfort zone.”

When I was a kid, my music instructor would design exercises for me that went in unfamiliar and unexpected directions: “You hang around in first position too much; that’s meant to get you outside your comfort zone!”

I used to have a manager who’d constantly say, “People need to be challenged! People need to be forced out of their comfort zone!”

MrsT, who knows I like to travel…minus the actual traveling part, will tell me, “You need to stop wanting to go to the same places! You need to get outside your comfort zone!”

That said…do you have a “comfort zone” in relation to cooking, a set of practices or dishes or ingredients you’re so familiar with, so comfortable with, that any stress or anxiety cooking may otherwise give you isn’t there? We probably all do, to some extent.

For example, I can make pizza without thinking much about it, it’s very forgiving, and it’s a low effort/high reward dish for me; same thing with eggs. They’re so versatile and they’re easy to use.

Another example would be cuisine - I’m very comfortable with Midwest US comfort food dishes - lots of starches, lots of gravies, lots of heavy meats. Even if it’s something I’ve never personally made before, I can look at a recipe that fits that style, and feel very comfortable making it.

What about you, do you find yourself happily (or not, I suppose) returning again and again to old favorites, or things you don’t really find challenging?

Do you think you have a comfort zone (and by extension, a place where you’re not as self-assured, and therefore more anxious when cooking from that place)?

Do you like to be challenged with something new in the kitchen, even if it does make you a little nervous to do so?

What I want to be clear about is that I’m not simply talking about your willingness to try new dish or ingredient, but more about your overall psychological state with respect “getting outside your comfort zone.”

Alas, poorly expressed again, but have at it, CB’ers!

To me, cooking isn't interesting unless I go outside whatever comfort zone I have. I get excited by techniques, tastes, ingredients and even plating presentations which are new to me. In fact, I'm not sure I have a comfort zone. If I do, its probably meatless cooking. But that is such a huge category that its hardly restrictive. Most recipes I post here are ones that I've never made before. Cooking is an adventure!

Yes - I have a comfort zone. I think there're some dishes I do that are 'muscle memory' when I don't have to think too hard about what's for dinner to nutrify the family. Then there's a repertoire of recipes that I've made multiple times during my culinary exploits that I like very much and am either trying to perfect since I haven't got them quite right yet, or that certain 'je ne sais quoi' still eludes me, or, even, trying to take them to the next level.

Having said all that, I made a resolution at the start of this year that I would try a new recipe at least once a week. So far, I've been doing reasonably well on that promise to myself and this place is a great source of inspiration.

Yeah, I stay in my comfort zone most of the time when cooking but thankfully I have enough dishes to keep it from being too repetitive. I do challenge myself with the CB recipe challenges (when I'm generally making up a recipe). That's the only time I really have to think much when cooking.

Comfort zones are what make people feel secure. They also make you predictable and unaware of the unexpected.
That's why a lot of big businesses like to "challenge" their top management, and put them through experiences they'd never have imagined (or tried on their own). I was once sent to Toluca, 3,200 mts above sea level, and made to scale mountains, trek across bogs, climb trees, all sorts of stuff.
I had a mate at university who didn't believe in "comfort zones". Any time I questioned something radical (to me), he'd tell me I was just a boring old f**t. So I went along with the roller coaster, as far as possible!
He ended up in Maryland and made a deal with one of the burgeoning cellphone companies to extend their coverage. He made some ridiculous deal like " I'll guarantee you 250,000 subscribers in 2 years and coverage to Washington, DC. For every month I don't get that, I'll pay you $500,000. If I do it before that, you'll pay me $500,000"
He made $10,000,000 from that business.
Culinary comfort zones are slightly different, because taste and texture come in to play. some people dislike certain flavours, spices, herbs, etc., and that's fine, although just trying once and then never again, I think is giving up. I hated blue cheese when I was a teenager, but someone introduced me to blue cheese & port, and great. Then I started on blue cheese just on its own. Magnificent.
I have tried to eat chunks of meat 100 times. If I have to chew them, I throw. No question about it; meat, in large pieces, I cannot take. Mince it all up and I'll snaffle it down. I can fully understand how the "sliminess" of okra can put some people off. However - why not try it prepared a different way? I get it when people say " I hate green beans; they're always so stringy!" - until they eat the wonderful, tiny, fresh ones, barely cooked. Or maybe prepared in a totally differet way.
What I don't get is " I tried it once, didn't like it, that's it"

Culinary comfort zones are slightly different, because taste and texture come in to play. some people dislike certain flavours, spices, herbs, etc., and that's fine, although just trying once and then never again, I think is giving up. I hated blue cheese when I was a teenager, but someone introduced me to blue cheese & port, and great. Then I started on blue cheese just on its own. Magnificent.
I have tried to eat chunks of meat 100 times. If I have to chew them, I throw. No question about it; meat, in large pieces, I cannot take. Mince it all up and I'll snaffle it down. I can fully understand how the "sliminess" of okra can put some people off. However - why not try it prepared a different way? I get it when people say " I hate green beans; they're always so stringy!" - until they eat the wonderful, tiny, fresh ones, barely cooked. Or maybe prepared in a totally differet way.
What I don't get is " I tried it once, didn't like it, that's it"
i agree on that. I'd never just try something once and doom it. I taught my kids the same. "Try it again in a few years perhaps prepared differently and see if your tastes have changed.' They've got pretty broad palates as a result. At 61 there are foods I've tried over the years prepared different ways by different people, and others eating them with me have proclaimed them wonderful, but I didn't love them or even like them. Okra and blue cheese are 2 of them! As are liver and other offal, yams, sweet potatoes, cottage cheese, and several others...I tried them more than once and in different ways, but no, not for me.

Especially lately because of arthritis pain plus the darn heat, I absolutely must have a few easy and simple comfort zone meals each week because otherwise we'd be eating out either at restaurants or drive thru or delivery or frozen foods. Craig very, very, very rarely cooks anymore, and even if he does it's mostly just part of a meal, and he has to be watched and coached or he messes it up. So, 99% or even more of the cooking is done by me, and I just don't like cooking that much.

As most of you know, in the past I've cooked well out of my comfort zone but that was when I had another cook in the house so I had several nights off each week where I didn't have to think about cooking at all.

I guess if I came across something that was interesting enough and made me really, really want to try it, I'd go for it, but now everything is judged for how much heat is this going to put in the house and how much pain am I going to be in by the time it's done, in other words am I going to be in so much pain that I don't feel like eating.

Before anybody asks, I am on prescription medication for the arthritis, but can only take Tylenol as an adjunct because of the prescription. And because of the opioid mess with people who couldn't control themselves, doctors in my area will no longer prescribe opioids for people who just need them now and again when the pain is really bad.

Difficult question to answer.
I definitely have dishes I make often, but that's because I really like them.
Out of my comfort zone was baking, which I now do.
Deserts & sweet stuff are also out of my comfort zone as I don't actually like them.

Deserts & sweet stuff are also out of my comfort zone as I don't actually like them.
I should have mentioned that too. I don't particularly enjoy making desserts and generally I don't like them. So, I'm not sure if its an out of comfort zone issue or not. I do like British 'old school' desserts like canary sponge, spotted dick, roly poly pudding etc. and do sometimes make those.

I do like British 'old school' desserts like canary sponge, spotted dick, roly poly pudding etc.
I'm NOT going to make a Spotted Dick joke... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
About 10-15 years ago, my wife and I came to the sudden conclusion that we had great dinner parties - and no desserts.
My sis gave us her recipe for Lemon Meringue Pie. My bro gave me his white chocolate cheesecake dessert.
Then the two of us got into the kitchen and worked on the "perfect" Panna Cotta and the "perfect" Tiramisu.
Then my SIL, who can't cook to save her life, gave us a recipe for Fresh Mango and Passion Fruit Meringue. I imagine all the Gods from all the world religions got together one night and said :
" Poor soul! I mean, what a crying shame. For goodness sake, she has a midlife crisis because the spaghetti won't bend!! Let's give her this recipe"
Anyway - we worked out a few dessert recipes and our dinner parties survived.
In the tropics , you have to have something light and sweet for dessert. Traditional British desserts just don't fit the bill.

I wish you would.
Off the top of my head:

What did Jane see through the bedroom window?

She spotted Dick.

For those who may not know, Dick and Jane were popular children’s book characters here in the 1950’s or so.

…now that I think of it, they had a dog named…Spot!

Three spoilers!

Off the top of my head:

What did Jane see through the bedroom window?

She spotted Dick.

For those who may not know, Dick and Jane were popular children’s book characters here in the 1950’s or so.

…now that I think of it, they had a dog named…Spot!

Three spoilers!
See Dick run? Do you remember that?

Back
Top Bottom