“Comfort zone” cooking

Especially lately because of arthritis pain plus the darn heat, I absolutely must have a few easy and simple comfort zone meals each week because otherwise we'd be eating out either at restaurants or drive thru or delivery or frozen foods. Craig very, very, very rarely cooks anymore, and even if he does it's mostly just part of a meal, and he has to be watched and coached or he messes it up. So, 99% or even more of the cooking is done by me, and I just don't like cooking that much.

As most of you know, in the past I've cooked well out of my comfort zone but that was when I had another cook in the house so I had several nights off each week where I didn't have to think about cooking at all.

I guess if I came across something that was interesting enough and made me really, really want to try it, I'd go for it, but now everything is judged for how much heat is this going to put in the house and how much pain am I going to be in by the time it's done, in other words am I going to be in so much pain that I don't feel like eating.

Before anybody asks, I am on prescription medication for the arthritis, but can only take Tylenol as an adjunct because of the prescription. And because of the opioid mess with people who couldn't control themselves, doctors in my area will no longer prescribe opioids for people who just need them now and again when the pain is really bad.
:hug:this is familiar to me.

With my rheumatic hands doing too much cutting or grating work, or basically any repetitive motion can be too much. So I have to have comfort zone dishes, because I know how much (or little) energy they cost. I venture out of my comfort zone only when I am in less pain, which is unfortunately rare at the moment.
Because of that many of the foods I post here are things I regularly make, I can only be creative when I am able to.

I do get prescription pain meds, but on a low dose and the Netherlands is internationally known for it's 'you can try a tylenol' culture in hospitals. There has never been a culture of over prescribing pain medicine like in America. Here it's only given for short periods or as long as you need to recover. Once my meds are working correctly, I am expected to get off the pain medicine slowly. I'm ok with that, because I know that if you take opioids too long they cause resistance and only make your situation worse in the long term. I'm already at the point where their effect is less noticable, so I'll be happy if I can get off them. Still am sorry for you medtran49 that you are not getting any at all :(

Difficult question to answer.
I definitely have dishes I make often, but that's because I really like them.
Out of my comfort zone was baking, which I now do.
Deserts & sweet stuff are also out of my comfort zone as I don't actually like them.
I also had a problem with baking. For me it was too structured or at least I thought it was. For the most part I let my wife handle the baking. I conquered the discomfort zone by attending culinary school on a part time basis concentrating on baking. Once you have made puff pastry from scratch the rest of baking becomes easier and I now find it comfortable, puff pastry excepted. I always buy the puff pastry ready made at the supermarket.

If I'm in pain, a boiled or microwaved potato is my go to.

Once you have made puff pastry from scratch the rest of baking becomes easier and I now find it comfortable, puff pastry excepted. I always buy the puff pastry ready made at the supermarket.

I'm also not comfortable for quite a lot of baking because I don't have a liking for sweet food but I'm one of those odd people who think making puff pastry is really easy. It doesn't even take much 'labour'. Most of the time its resting! I think I once timed how long I spent actually doing it (I mean the 'hands on' part) and it was about twenty minutes.

We often find fresh Borlotti (cranberry) beans in the supermarkets here. I love them!
Any time I find them, I buy a huge bag and make vegetarian patties (or "burgers"), freeze them individually and THEN...
When I can't be bothered, or have lost all inspiration, I pull one out of the freezer, fry it up in a little butter or oil, make some chips (British chips) and slather the whole lot with ketchup. Yum.
Veggie Burger with Chips.jpg

DD and I shared a Jersey Mike’s Philly cheesesteak and homemade red and yellow potato salad.

Back
Top Bottom