700,000 + eggs

I have a standing order for my butter (from Brue Valley, one of the dairies that said the price was going to go sky high), but I've noticed when I've been shopping that the supermarkets no longer seem to have much organic ordinary butter any more and no unsalted organic butter at all. Organic produce seems to be harder to get hold of in either Tesco or Sainsbury's locally although some is still available online. As far as milk is concerned, the only unhomogenised milk I can get locally from a supermarket is Channel Islands milk from Tesco. I still get that as an occasional treat, although the fat content of it is only very slightly more than the milk I get regularly (5% as opposed to 4.5% from the farm, or 4% from the milkman).

Our local Tesco's regularly runs out of decent salted butter, particularly their own brand beurre d'Isigny which is very good. We don't use very much cows milk, but I am tempted to call in at a farm nearby that advertises unpasteurised milk for sale - I was brought up on the stuff!

Our local Tesco's regularly runs out of decent salted butter, particularly their own brand beurre d'Isigny which is very good. We don't use very much cows milk, but I am tempted to call in at a farm nearby that advertises unpasteurised milk for sale - I was brought up on the stuff!
I very rarely use salted butter these days except occasionally in cooking, and even then I can taste the salt in it. I do not buy and try to avoid homogenised milk because I am intolerant to it, although I can drink the odd cup of tea or coffee when I am out and about without too much harm being done. Good old-fashioned proper whole milk (silver top) for me, and organic at that. There are no farms round our way licensed to sell raw milk, which is a shame as I loved the stuff. Mum often used to get it as well as the milk from the milkman, although eventually the supplies dwindled until we could only get it on holiday. Unfortunately I am of an age now where raw milk if not recommended, and my daughter had a very nasty experience with some cheese (which she didn't know was made from raw milk) when she was pregnant, so maybe it is just as well that I can no longer get it.

Back
Top Bottom