A food you dislike that everyone else seems to love?

Eggs, I don't like the smell or the look of eggs. I can cook with them in a cake or what ever but eat them as a meal no way.

I know what you mean. Until recently I couldn't eat it at all. This was because:
  1. I was a vegetarian during adolescent years and somehow never got round to liking slabs of steak (it was he last frontier, so to speak!)
  2. At the point where I was prepared to try it (about 15 years ago) my teeth were shot and I couldn't chew it!
  3. When I did first try it, it was overcooked and chewy.
Well, now, I have my teeth fixed (at great expense, I might add :() and I have started to eat steak. I find that I only really like fillet steak, very rare. Other cuts are too chewy for me. Its still not my all time favourite food by a long chalk. To be honest, I don't think steak has a huge taste (but perhaps I've never had top quality stuff?) I'd like to try Wagyu though!!! Chance would be a fine thing...
I can understand your finding steak tasteless if you only eat the fillet. Although the most tender of the steak cuts, it lacks any fat marbling which is what gives the meat flavor. That's why it is usually served with a sauce, such as bearnaise. My favorite cuts are a nicely marbled rib eye or New York cut. I don't know what the New York is called elsewhere, but it is a cut from the loin. I also had a teeth problem which has now been taken care of, and I relish the chewing.

I know that we're all pretty big foodies here - after all, we're on a forum called Cooking Bites!

However - I'm curious as to whether or not you have a food that you really don't like, but everyone else seems to love (or thinks you're weird for not liking it!)

For me - I hate cooked eggs. It's fine if they're in something and you can't taste/smell eggs (such as cakes, pancakes, and other sweet things) but if you gave me a plate of scrambled eggs, fried eggs or poached eggs I'd scrunch my nose up and tell you I couldn't eat them. It's weird, because I loved eggs as a kid, but now as an adult I can't stand the smell or texture or anything!

What about you?
Mushrooms. It doesn't matter how they're cooked, I can't stand them. I don't know care if its deep fried or on a pizza, I don't want anything to do with them

I live in the South and the one food I just cannot bring myself to eat is grits. Now, grits are a southern staple and are eaten at breakfast, lunch and dinner. But I just cannot bring myself to even try them. I know they are ground hominy, which is corn soaked in a lye solution or something like that. And I like hominy. But grits are just beyond me,,, OH I do not like polenta either which to me are just Italian grits. I was born and raised in Texas and grew up eating hash browns at breakfast and did not move to Alabama until my early 30;s so maybe that is part of the problem.

I am not a big fan of butter on sandwiches or toast. I don't like the huge lumps of butter on sandwiches. I just don't understand it....People always think I am weird for wanting a ''dry sandiwhc'' but there is other things you can put on a sandwich I just prefer for it to be dry. If butter is melted into something or in a mixture for say a cake for example that doesn't bother me it is just when there are lumps of it and that is all I can taste...... It may seem a little weird but I actualy know a few people like me so I am not completely crazy just a little bit! I am also not a huge fan of mayo..... So if something is covered in it I can't eat it but if there is only a litte bit I don't make a huge fuss and normally just eat it.

I am not a big fan of butter on sandwiches or toast. I don't like the huge lumps of butter on sandwiches. I just don't understand it....People always think I am weird for wanting a ''dry sandiwhc'' but there is other things you can put on a sandwich I just prefer for it to be dry. If butter is melted into something or in a mixture for say a cake for example that doesn't bother me it is just when there are lumps of it and that is all I can taste...... It may seem a little weird but I actualy know a few people like me so I am not completely crazy just a little bit! I am also not a huge fan of Mayo..... So if something is covered in it I can't eat it but if there is only a litte bit I don't make a huge fuss and normally just eat it.
Have they just beat Dublin?

Not a food per se, but I really don't like cilantro. I know it's insanely popular right now, but I do not care for it.
A lot of people don't like cilantro. I read somewhere that a taste for cilantro is genetic. Those who don't like it often say it tastes like soap. Personally, I like it, but I'm careful when serving folks who don't like it. It's not their fault. My English friend said it tasted like "washing up liquid" , so I never prepared a dish with cilantro in it when I was visiting. If she was genetically disposed to find the taste soapy, there was a good chance her children would as well.

A lot of people don't like cilantro. I read somewhere that a taste for cilantro is genetic. Those who don't like it often say it tastes like soap. Personally, I like it, but I'm careful when serving folks who don't like it. It's not their fault. My English friend said it tasted like "washing up liquid" , so I never prepared a dish with cilantro in it when I was visiting. If she was genetically disposed to find the taste soapy, there was a good chance her children would as well.
Quite right. I wrote of this in another thread. I love coriander (cilantro) but I know a few people who hate the taste.

Back
Top Bottom