Another Strange Vegetable

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
1:52 AM
Occasionally my wife arrives from the market with some strange vegetable/fruit. This evening it was this:

IMG_0876s.jpg

Is it some strange cucumber/courgette?

This vegetable is known as christophine in my country. It is very popular where I live and I use it regularly in my meals. I would peel it, slice it up, and steam it along with other vegetables. That is about the only way that I can remember using it. It has a light sweet taste to it. It is one of the more expensive vegetables over here, but nice nevertheless.

กระชาย

This looks like galangal but smells and tastes like ginger.

Google states: "Boesenbergia rotunda, commonly known as Chinese keys, fingerroot, lesser galangal or Chinese ginger, is a medicinal and culinary herb from China and Southeast Asia."

fingeroot.jpg

กระชาย

This looks like galangal but smells and tastes like ginger.

Google states: "Boesenbergia rotunda, commonly known as Chinese keys, fingerroot, lesser galangal or Chinese ginger, is a medicinal and culinary herb from China and Southeast Asia."

View attachment 3407
So what are you going to do with it?

This stuff arrived in the post and originated in the jungles of the North West of Thailand. It grows wild and is also prevalent in the jungles of Penninsula Malaysia. The ethnobotany name is Dioscorea hispida or ubi gadong in Bahasa (กลอย in Thai). It's a poisonous type of yam (apparently) which needs extensive "processing" to remove the toxin. It has been dried for long term storage and will require re-hydrating prior to eating (but not by me!).

ubi gadong s.jpg

ubi gadong cu s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom