Another Strange Vegetable

@Yorky

In south Louisiana your vegetable is called Merliton. It is not a root vegetable. It grows on a vine. It has a very high water content and a very mild flavor. It does absorb the flavor of anything it is cooked with. We make shrimp or crawfish casseroles with Merliton. It also makes a good quick pickle - serve with a salad. Good for a casserole with any flavorful protein.

Dad liked it boiled, salt and pepper and a drizzle of vinegar.

Experiment - think of it as a filler. It can also be stuffed with a savory mixture.

Last edited:
@Yorky

In south Louisiana your vegetable is called Merliton. It is not a root vegetable. It grows on a vine. It has a very high water content and a very mild flavor. It does absorb the flavor of anything it is cooked with. We make shrimp or crawfish casseroles with Merliton. It also makes a good quick pickle - serve with a salad. Good for a casserole with any flavorful protein.

Dad liked it boiled, salt and pepper and a drizzle of vinegar.

Experiment - think of it as a filler. It can also be stuffed with a savory mixture.

We are talking about the vegetable in the top post. Its called a Christophene in the UK - its a type of gourd. Not often seen in these parts!

What I think is a slightly different variety of fingerroot.........

fingeroot 2.jpg

I'm not sure if sweetcorn is considered a vegetable but this one is a strange colour:

black sweet corn 0 s.jpg

black sweet corn 2 s.jpg

It has already been cooked, in the husk.

Not a strange vegetable but definitely a strange shaped tomato.

strange tomato s.jpg

We had an eggplant once that grew a "nose." You could have used Mr. Potato Head eye and mouth parts and made a face. I think we have a picture of it somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom