Any Un-wanted Xmas Gifts Received ?

Francesca

Local time
11:54 PM
Unfortunately, when you are in business, one may receive several presents that one does not eat, or want or need .. Of course, I thanked them for thinking of me and what a pleasant surprise and lovely gift.

For example, I received 2 food baskets, of products, we do not eat or like. We passed the baskets on to our parents and inlaws ..

I also received a make up & perfume selection from a Manufacturer that I do not care much for and passed it on to my two daughter in laws.

What do you do with an unwelcomed gift ?

Pass on to a family member or close friend explaining the source of gift or throw in a wardrobe or closet or dump period ?
Or give it to charity ?

Have a lovely New Year´s and all the best of health, success and happiness.

I was going to post a similar thread but you beat me to it!

@morning glory

Interesting as I thought you or SNSSO would beat me to it ! However, I said, go and check ..

Have a marvelous weekend and Happy New Year .. May all the best of health, success and happiness be with you and your dear ones ..

Last edited by a moderator:
We are limited on space so if it's not wanted it goes back out asap.

The adults in the family do a Secret Santa type thing each year. It reduces the happenstance of the unwanted gifts & the buying just because you have to thing.

My inlaws are not foodies but they know I love to cook. This year I received a spice rack. The jars are mostly filled with dried herbs etc. when I get a chance I think I'll blitz a lot of them with salt to make a big jar of seasoning for quick BBQ meals.

We often get things we can't eat like chocolates and biscuits but they are always useful when we have guests. This year we received a box of celebrations (chocolates) which we have had open for anyone coming to our home, and a bottle of beer aged in a whisky barrel. I used to love a beer but drink very little now and husband can't have gluten. Tomorrow we have dinner guests and the husband likes beer so we will offer it to him to drink with lunch.

When my mother-in-law was alive I used to get the most hilarious presents! Mostly very unattractive pjamas!

Last edited:
Christmas is not really celebrated here so presents are rarely given or received. If my wife and I wish to buy presents we buy our own and then can be sure that we each receive what we wanted.

However, I remember when I was younger in UK, the clothing of choice in the pub on Boxing Day was the sweater bought by your mum, mother-in-law, auntie, etc. There were some atrocious examples which didn't appear to be worn subsequently.

Christmas is not really celebrated here so presents are rarely given or received. If my wife and I wish to buy presents we buy our own and then can be sure that we each receive what we wanted.

However, I remember when I was younger in UK, the clothing of choice in the pub on Boxing Day was the sweater bought by your mum, mother-in-law, auntie, etc. There were some atrocious examples which didn't appear to be worn subsequently.

@Yorky

Yes, I can imagine, sounds like the film, The Diary of Bridget Jones ..

Luckily, I have a French mom in law with amazingly wonderful taste when it comes to gift giving ..

We do not give clothing or jewelery as presents .. It is too personalised ..

We discuss what we need or wish to have .. Then, my parents and in laws, twin sons and 2 daughter in laws, all share the cost and it is a gift, that my husband and I shall use .. Not give to a charity or give it away to an office colleague or dump it !

This year it was two suitcases on wheels or trolleys in the color of Bordeaux Wine or a red wine tone .. They asked us what we wanted, and we wanted Bordeaux suitcases on wheels as everyone has black and it is hard to locate our luggage .. They fit the measurements for overhead aircraft compartments too .. Gorgeous luggage ..

Have a wonderful 2018 ahead .. All our best wishes ..

Last edited:
This year it was two suitcases on wheels or trolleys in the color of Bordeaux Wine or a red wine tone .. They asked us what we wanted, and we wanted Bordeaux suitcases on wheels as everyone has black and it is hard to locate our luggage

Back in the early 90s I was flying to Damascus and I needed to collect my visa from our London office manager at Heathrow (I was travelling initially from Manchester).
By the time I had sorted out my visa, there was only one suitcase left on the carousel. It looked like mine (and why shouldn't it have been?) so I hauled it and checked it in at International check-in. It wasn't , of course, and there lies the start of a very long story.

[Edit: after that debacle I bought a bright orange strap to wrap around my case for the future]
[/user]

Last edited by a moderator:
We always seem to end up with some type of tools. This year it is multi tool and a flashlight. Donate. We received a Virtual Reality Head Set. Fun but not something we will make much use of. Will give it to the Grands. VISA cards that have an expiration date. What a waste. A good friend sends us a beautiful, smoked, pepper crusted beef tenderloin every year. It is packaged in two pieces. I still had 1 piece in the freezer from last year! I took that one out. We are snacking on it. I will make an effort to use the new one before next Christmas.

We sent those friends a package of Boudin (Sandra LOVES boudin) and a spinach and artichoke heart stuffed, boneless chicken. Sandra is not much of a cook and does not like to cook but she did enjoy the chicken. Defrost, bake, serve.

I would prefer having charitable donations made in our names. I need to bring that up to my family. Better yet - put that money into the educational funds of the young ones.

Back
Top Bottom