Anybody still use lard ?

sidevalve

Guru
Local time
8:58 PM
Simple question - does anybody still use it ? We melt it in a pan , add seeds and pour in a coconut shell for the birds in winter. This is pure lard of course not dripping :rolleyes:

My mom still swears by baking with lard. She still is able to get farm raised pork so she just arranges with the butcher to get her the lard or the lardons to prep. She also cooks with it occasionally. I tend to agree with her when it comes to lard in baking. I don't really use it for cooking lately, but I used to use it alot. A little lard goes a long way too to help seal air from certain foods for storage.

Frytex. Getting harder to get, with some of the younger end insisting it doesn't exist.

We call it shortening here. I think it is very similar. I don't have any and haven't used it for a long time, but I might use it if a recipe called for it. I think you would need it if you were making biscuits from scratch. I have nothing against it, I just don't buy it.

I have not seen or used lard in a long time. Years ago, I remember using it for greasing pans before putting anything in the oven for baking. I hardly remember using it for anything else though. Nowadays the pan or dish would be greased with butter. I don't know how popular it is in my country these days, but it is quite possible that some people still use it.

Can't beat lard for making pastry the old fashioned way. Half the quantity of fat to flour and the fat should be half butter (or cold margerine) for flavour and half lard (for shortness).
Home made pastries lost something in the 80's/90's when lard fell out of favour.

Can't beat lard for making pastry the old fashioned way. Half the quantity of fat to flour and the fat should be half butter (or cold margerine) for flavour and half lard (for shortness).
Home made pastries lost something in the 80's/90's when lard fell out of favour.
I agree. I use it when making pastry for meat pies. But perhaps I should use it for other pastry dishes. I have some in the fridge at the moment.

When I was a kid our fridge ALWAYS contained at least one block of lard as well as the chip pan full of lard too, vegetable oil was for posh people. I remember my mother used to take a scoop/scrape of cold lard from the chip pan to add to a frying pan. Those were the days, everyone used lard AND chip pans;- If the cholesterol didn't get you the pan fires would!

Back
Top Bottom