Are you fond of watching cooking shows?

I never used to watch them but I have to confess that since I have become stuck at home and unable to get out without help, I have taken to watching some of them. One that always had me in disbelief is called 'eat well for less'. I sit in utter disbelief that people can be that naive and spend so much on their shopping each week. I also sit and watch in fascinated disbelief that people can eat so badly and allow their kids to or actually serve such bad meals to their kids. How they do not know how to cook carrots or have never cut up a vegetable is beyond me because my school taught all that, not to mention I learnt it from an early age from my parents and grandparents. But I don't watch them 100% and I only catch the odd episode here and there and will always be doing something else at the same time like cleaning up the seagrass I weave before weaving it, or weaving the cleaned/trimmed seagrass, crocheting or knitting even whilst I am watching the programs. They are there to remind me to look up from what I am doing and exercise my eyes (It is good to frequently switch from looking at something closer up to something in the distance write frequently).

Definitely! I don't think I'd love cooking as much as I do anymore without my cooking shows. I watch Everyday Foods on Youtube, Munchies by Vice and various shows on the cooking network but especially shows created by chefs Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsay and domestic goddess Nigella Lawson. I've always wanted to be a chef myself perhaps that's the reason.

I've gotten burned out by the Food Network style of "cooking shows" - they're not even really cooking shows any more, but more "lifestyle shows" where the cooking seems to be an afterthought. Plus their recipes are so amateurish now, and the whole format of most of their shows is so cookie cutter these days, it's hard for me to watch. I really wish they would make a return back to their better days when the emphasis was more on actual cooking techniques and more challenging recipes where you actually learned a thing or two.

In contrast, I really enjoy the cooking segments on America's Test Kitchen, which in comparison really highlight how bad Food Network has gotten. ATK doesn't spend 2/3 of the segment yapping about themselves and what's going on in their lives - they actually talk about the food and the recipes and the cooking techniques specifically. I don't need to listen to you carry on about how you're preparing an outdoor brunch for your nieces 4th birthday party, or that your best friend from college is in town and then you start reminiscing over a bunch of personal stories that mean nothing to me, or that your landscaper is stopping over to work on your yard... seriously?! Who cares?

Cooking shows are my favorite. Some of my favorite cooking shows are Nigella's Kitchen. Nigella also happens to my favorite TV chef. I also like Ravindra's Kitchen. Most of the time she prepares Indian dishes.

For me as a home cook with no professional experience, I generally do love watching cooking shows. I like watching the travelling "cooking" shows too, (eg. bizarre foods with Andrew Zimmern) I love to see the different variety of foods people eat all over the world. It's a huge passion of mine. I enjoy seeing what other home cooks make on a regular basis, whether it is horse meat, tarantulas or wild birds. I try to control WHEN I watch these programs though, looking at food sometimes makes you feel like snacking! So be careful.

Back
Top Bottom