Recipe Baked beans

Every Friday night and the kids were still living at home, I would take a bag of dried Navy beans, clean them, picking out the rocks and bad beans. I then placed them in a large bowl and covered them with water. I would check them every so often and add more water as needed to keep them covered. I gave them their last check just before I went to bed. On Saturday morning I would rise early and put the beans on the stove to be cooked. I would test their doneness by blowing on a bean. If the skin split, they were done.
I had a large brown old fashion bean pot. In the bottom I would place a couple of pieces of salt pork. Then some of the beans, molasses, brown sugar and a sprinkling of dry mustard. I would repeat the process until all the beans were in the pot. I then poured the water that I cooked the beans in making sure they were covered completely. Into the oven on a low heat 250ºF. Check them every hour to replace any liquid that had evaporated. Let them cook for eight hours. I heated up some hot dogs with the natural skins on them. The kind that snap if you broke them in half. Served with a tall glass of milk and hot dog rolls, at the end of the meal all the beans were gone along with the hot dogs and milk.
Now you all know about making New England Baked Beans. I still have the pot and about three times a year I make the beans for my daughter. I get back an empty bean pot and big smiles from my daughter.

Where is the pork in those beans? :unsure:

Sounds like the pork and boiled rice that I endured in hospital - couldn't find the pork in that either. Campbell's do a pork and beans which is available tinned here although I've not tried it. I can get pork sausage and beans from my Western food supplier but if I want that I just chop up some hot dog sausages and "cook" them with a tin of ordinary baked beans (Branston).

sausage and beans.jpg

[Edit: Just for information, the sausages are £2.00/tin and the beans £1.30]

beans eggs sausage toast s.jpg

Last edited:
........ I wonder how hot your ground mustard is? Hard for you to know if you don't know how hot the UK powdered mustard is.

If it's akin to having a soldering iron inserted up your nose it's about hot enough!

:eek::eek::eek:

Baked beans
2 cans (roughly 16 oz each) pork n beans (outside the US, beans in tomato sauce)
3/4 cup dark molasses (treacle)(250 grams)
1/2 to a cup packed dark brown sugar (135 grams or more)
1 tablespoon ground or dry mustard
1 teaspoon pepper if desired
Finely Chopped onion (1 usually use 1/4 to 1/2 of an onion)
Couple of slices (rashers) bacon (streaky if outside of the US)

Chop up the bacon and cook till soft, add in onion and cook till it is soft. Add everything else. Cook on low stirring every few minutes for at least 1/2 an hour or bake in the oven at about 350°F for about an hour.

*If you are baking something else, just use that temperature.

I like the sound of that. We cannot obtain molasses or treacle here but I would not miss the sweetness that it probably imparts.

Baked beans
2 cans (roughly 16 oz each) pork n beans (outside the US, beans in tomato sauce)
3/4 cup dark molasses (treacle)(250 grams)
1/2 to a cup packed dark brown sugar (135 grams or more)
1 tablespoon ground or dry mustard
1 teaspoon pepper if desired
Finely Chopped onion (1 usually use 1/4 to 1/2 of an onion)
Couple of slices (rashers) bacon (streaky if outside of the US)

Chop up the bacon and cook till soft, add in onion and cook till it is soft. Add everything else. Cook on low stirring every few minutes for at least 1/2 an hour or bake in the oven at about 350°F for about an hour.

I'm sure this tastes divine, but I'm not sure I could bring myself to turn fairly healthy beans by adding all that sugar. The mustard part I love, and will experiment with this morning for breakfast alongside some decent sausages.

Sounds like the pork and boiled rice that I endured in hospital - couldn't find the pork in that either. Campbell's do a pork and beans which is available tinned here although I've not tried it. I can get pork sausage and beans from my Western food supplier but if I want that I just chop up some hot dog sausages and "cook" them with a tin of ordinary baked beans (Branston).

View attachment 7869

[Edit: Just for information, the sausages are £2.00/tin and the beans £1.30]

View attachment 7870
These beans do not have the pork sausage in them.
Why I specified USA use pork n beans. For the rest of the world use canned baked beans.
You do not want the hot dogs or sausages. In the US, those are sold as beanie weenies.

This is a food that the title changes meaning.

These beans do not have the pork sausage in them.
Why I specified USA use pork n beans. For the rest of the world use canned baked beans.
You do not want the hot dogs or sausages. In the US, those are sold as beanie weenies.

This is a food that the title changes meaning.
I got you.. and I will prepare beans (I mat add a little bacon for the porky element).

Last edited:
You can still buy the bean pots. A lot of hardware stores carry them and you can also find them on line. Even ebay has some for sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ceramic-Oven-Baked-Bean-Pot-W-Lid-4-5-Quart-Slow-Cook-Glazed-Dutch-Oven-NEW/262852359265?_trksid=p2045573.c100507.m3226&_trkparms=aid=555017&algo=PL.CASSINI&ao=1&asc=41375&meid=92e1b046077242e4afbf2e4de3bf6419&pid=100507&rk=1&rkt=1&

This is a typical bean pot. But this one is rather expensive. I didn't look for a less expensive one. I just wanted to show you what it looked like. The kind my mother and then I used.
Hmmm, I have an original electric bean pot. It is also ceramic. The pot just sits on a hot plate. Come winter, I will have to use the pot part in the oven. (Sorry, there is no way, I am turning on my big oven in this heat.)
You are awesome.

Back
Top Bottom