Baking Disasters

Ok, this definitely qualifies as a baking disaster.

I was making a peach streusel cake for the wife. Cake on the bottom, a layer of peaches, and a streusel topping.

I read through the recipe and the accompanying photos, and made particular note that the cake batter would be thick and stiff and would need to be spread into the pan with a knife or spatula.

Cream the butter and sugar...add vanilla and an egg...mix in the dry ingredients and the milk...

Now, my eyes are bad. Bad as in glasses get me only so far. Bad as in it's barely legal for me to drive.

So I'm adding the milk, and I'm thinking, "This sure seems like a lot of milk...," and I keep pouring, adding some dry stuff, then some milk..."Oh well, I guess it'll thicken up...any time now...any time..."

I finished adding everything, and instead of being thick like cake frosting, it was thin, like crepe batter! What the...?!

I went back to the recipe, took my glasses off and held the phone right up to my face, zoomed way in, and what I had originally read as "1-1/2 cup" was actually "1/2 cup." With my glasses and the phone on the countertop, the 1 was kind kind of blurred and looked double.

Well crap.

Thickened it with a little more flour, a bit more of the spices, then threw it together and hoped for the best.

First, it bubbled over onto my pizza stone. Second, it was sturdy enough to support the peaches or the streusel, so all of that folded right into the middle, like a lump. Third, it called for a 40 minute bake time, I had to eventually cover it and bake it for a whopping 75 minutes.

It came out very browned, like a cookie, around the edge, but the cake is very wet, though baked through, kind of sticky like a poke cake can get.

It seems to taste ok, but it's wet. It's really wet. Did I mention it's so freaking wet?
Holy blooming moly! :eek:

Oh my! You should have taken a photo. :D
Here you go:
CF175051-F84B-4176-AA9A-904F8A7EFEE8.jpeg
5223E83A-B0EF-4676-B03A-E01F7D7EEEB6.jpeg

And that's after doing quite a bit of cosmetic work on it to fix it up.

A couple of days back, another Victoria sponge, a complete disaster of biblical proportions, no mistake in the baking, no opening the door before its time, middle collapsed inwards. Too embarrassed to take a photo, cut it into bits and tossed it out for the birds. I'm fairly sure they'll get gut rot, the poor blighters... :facepalm:

A couple of days back, another Victoria sponge, a complete disaster of biblical proportions, no mistake in the baking, no opening the door before its time, middle collapsed inwards. Too embarrassed to take a photo, cut it into bits and tossed it out for the birds. I'm fairly sure they'll get gut rot, the poor blighters... :facepalm:

That's really annoying when you don't know what went wrong - and you've made several perfectly well before...

yesterday was a baking disaster for me.
I was making a double batch of crumpets for hubby. the aim was that he would have some in the freezer after he had eaten a few. A batch usually only makes 9-10 crumpets you see.
So with a double batch of everything and a new recipe (new to me) using some more of my fresh yeast, I was just at the point where the 1st proofing had happened, I had added the bicarb of soda in a little more water and had the griddle warmed up, the crumpet rings hot and the mixture had had its second proofing and was ready to cook, when the phone rang. It was a new number, one I didn't know but it wasn't blocked and my security software hadn't flagged up any issues with it. So I answered it. It was someone about the chooks I was after (I recently lost the last of my blue egg layers and on a very obscure noticeboard that only seriously dedicated chook people use, I had left an advert). He had a single chook - might be a blue egg layer, but more likely an olive egg layer who was terrified of his (now ex) rooster after an introduction had gone wrong. So he was looking for a new home for her because despite the rooster no longer being around, she was refusing to live in the chook house or associate with the flock she now associated with the rooster that had attacked her... was I interested?

anyhow 45 minutes later and we had made arrangements for myself and my hubby to drive 200km away this Saturday to pick her up. I can only sit in one place in the house for phone conversations because of reception issues, so couldn't see what was happening to my batter.

Now what about that crumpet batter? It had risen something magical, and was rapidly expanding and making for a getaway. I caught it before it had left the worksurface and found the floor, but right from the word go I could see that it was way too gloopy and also way too fluffy. There was too much gluten in the mixture. What if I make it a triple batch? Its only 12oz of flour as a test? So I added 12oz of flour and some more water to get it to the required thickness. I gave it 5 minutes to start bubbling again which it was very happy to do and then I tried making some crumpets.

Humm total disaster. They were rising quite happily, but there were no holes on the top. They looked like English muffins, until you cut them open and then they had the crumpet holes, and were like leather. They were also not cooked through properly either. I tried again, this time dropping the temperature and thinning the batter a tad more. Still no joy. This time they collapsed. Then I tried them much thicker - filling the crumpet rings completely and leaving them to cook on a much lower temp for a much longer period of time. I teased them out of the crumpet rings before turning them over and continuing to let them cook whilst I used the rings again, and again and again.
After 12 things had been made it was clear that whatever was going on wasn't good. After the first batch (as in first 2 crumpets), the holes had gone and there wasn't anything resembling a crumpet. the batter was producing what looked like a dough, but there was a crumpety taste but it lacked something. I quit. the batter was light and foamy by now, and again trying to leave the bowl. The remaining batter was thinned with water and poured down the sink - let the septic tank enjoy the yeast!

The 12 things were left on the counter too cool and have been chopped up into small pieces. Hopefully the compost heap can digest them because I certainly can't and I'm not feeding them to the chooks. They don't need that much 'bready caky leathery partially cooked dough'!

That's really annoying when you don't know what went wrong - and you've made several perfectly well before...
I know what went wrong - I need a new cooker, my one's shot to heck. *sigh*

I wondered what would happen if I had a go at a pre-mixed packet version, see how it would turn out. In this order:

• 7 tbls of water and two eggs added, plus a dash of flavouring - check.
    Mixed concoction - check.
    Poured what looked like batter (ew) into tin - check.
    Baked for about 30 minutes - check.
    Came out looking plump and golden - check.
    Left it to cool for about 15 minutes - check.
    Found it had collapsed in the middle, with gooey substance (double ew) at the bottom - check.

What in the name of the seven realms of rolling pins happened there, considering I never even interfered with it...!?! :o_o::o_o::o_o::o_o::o_o::banghead:

I wondered what would happen if I had a go at a pre-mixed packet version, see how it would turn out. In this order:

Found it had collapsed in the middle, with gooey substance (double ew) at the bottom - check.

What in the name of the seven realms of rolling pins happened there, considering I never even interfered with it...!?! :o_o::o_o::o_o::o_o::o_o::banghead:

It really does sound as if your oven is not heating up properly, given that you have had a similar thing happening twice. Here is a way to test if your oven is heating correctly.

View: https://youtu.be/rgS3uaAp7Tw

It really does sound as if your oven is not heating up properly, given that you have had a similar thing happening twice. Here is a way to test if your oven is heating correctly.

View: https://youtu.be/rgS3uaAp7Tw

Oh, my... seems interesting. Never thought of that. Thanks. :)

Mewmew - collapsed center and still gooey, that's a classic sign of not being baked through, and since you're using a boxed mix and following their directions, I'm sure you left it in for the right amount of time and used the right sized tin, that's really pointing to your oven being out of whack. Believe me, I've been through the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom