Recipe Banana pudding

That banana pudding is looking good! My mouth is watering. The amount of sugar is too much for me though, I'll probably replace it with sweeteners or brown sugar I wonder if it will rise correctly?

As much as I like bananas in several things I don't know i am going to love this. It looks good, but..........

I'm guessing the "but"... means too much sugar, ha ha. :wacky: I wish I could swear off sugar as well as you do.

You could probably use a little less or try another type of sweetener maybe. I'd also leave off the meringue. Not a fan.

We also make banana pudding, however, our recipe is different.
We cook finely mashed banana in milk, add cream, cardamom, coconut slices, dates, almonds, cashews and sugar. The pudding will be ready in 10 minutes.

That sounds delicious!

I have been looking for something new to make for some time now and I think I found it. This looks delicious and yes, likely very sweet but I'm completely fine with that. My son LOVES bananas and I think this one would be a hit with him. Like @aquaticneko said it looks like a banana cream pie married a meringue pie but I bet the combination is great. It's a good thing tonight is grocery night, I'll definitely be picking up what I need for this and surprise the kid and the husband with it for our Sunday dinner!

I looked several times at this recipe. Then it dawned on me that there isn't too much to it as long as you can shape and bake that meringue top. Its basically a sort of custard made with flour and eggs poured over the 'wafers' and bananas with a meringue topping. For some reason (call me stupid), I originally assumed it was a hot pudding. So, I didn't understand why it only took 5 minutes in the oven!

I still think that 30 to 40 wafers sounds an enormous amount though! As a few of you have made the recipe, perhaps you can explain why so many!

I looked several times at this recipe. Then it dawned on me that there isn't too much to it as long as you can shape and bake that meringue top. Its basically a sort of custard made with flour and eggs poured over the 'wafers' and bananas with a meringue topping. For some reason (call me stupid), I originally assumed it was a hot pudding. So, I didn't understand why it only took 5 minutes in the oven!

I still think that 30 to 40 wafers sounds an enormous amount though! As a few of you have made the recipe, perhaps you can explain why so many!

I know! I had the same thought. However, I wondered about the number of wafers too, until I realized the wafers are the only crunchy thing in it! It needs it as a base! Had to struggle with the ratio of it with the cupcakes since a few ended up with so little base it caved in itself while trying to take it out of the pan after I baked it.

Went out and bought some of these nilla wafers. I had some kind of inspiration and made this same recipe in a bigger cupcake pan in individual servings! I forgot to take a picture because we had company over. Nothing was left! So saving this recipe!

It truly is a fantastic sweet desert, and anyone who makes it, will certainly be so glad that they did!! :wink:

banana pudding cake.jpg

Has anyone ever tried doing THIS? A banana pudding CAKE?

I wanted so bad to, but I'm too used to the traditional banana pudding!

We also make banana pudding, however, our recipe is different.
We cook finely mashed banana in milk, add cream, cardamom, coconut slices, dates, almonds, cashews and sugar. The pudding will be ready in 10 minutes.

Yum! This sounds great!

View attachment 2542

Has anyone ever tried doing THIS? A banana pudding CAKE?

I wanted so bad to, but I'm too used to the traditional banana pudding!

OMG that looks heavenly. Whoever made that did a great job! I wonder if that will hold up when sliced? Will it have clear layers with bananas etc? For some reason this makes me think of trifles.

Oh my goodness that banana pudding cake looks simply delicious! I just know that I am not skilled enough to pull that off haha. I'll stick to trying just the banana pudding, except I think that I'll leave out the sugar. Bananas have so much sugar in them already.

My mom used to make homemade banana pudding all the time and it was sooo delicious! Unfortunately, now she had mild dementia and I am not sure if she would remember how to make it.

It's simple.

You can Google the recipe or think of one in your head. There is practically nothing to it!

For the pudding or custard, our mom used to take about 1-1/2 - 2 cups of sugar, about 2 tablespoon of flour, a pinch of salt and about 1 half stick of butter. She combined all of the dry ingredients into the upper pot of a double boiler. Then she added a can of evaporated milk (I use regular fresh milk) stirred it all together.

When the mixture was hot, she tempered 4 egg yolks beaten the egg whites are used for the meringue), with a little of the sauce. She added that back into the pot and let it thicken while stirring constantly. Then she added the butter & a teaspoon of vanilla to the mixture and let it cool slightly before using it to assemble the layers of bananas & wafers.

The egg white are whipped with about half a cup of sugar just until soft peaks form. It is then spread over the top of the whole thing and an intricate design is made with it, it is baked in the oven just until the meringue is lightly brown.

Enjoy! :wink:

We had banana pudding on Sunday all the time when I was a kid. It is always a favorite for brunch meetings also.

Back
Top Bottom