Beef Tagine

Thanks...and, funny, but I've gotten to the point where hearing the name of something I've never made before automatically triggers an I need to make this response. I know I can get pickled lemons (which I've also heard called preserved lemons) at certain stores. but considering how much pickling I do, I'd have to say that I consider this a challenge I'm willing to meet. :thumbsup:

Yes - preserved lemons are the same thing. All you need is salt...

@The Late Night Gourmet

Exemplary efforts ! Delightful ..

I have travelled to Morocco twice on business, and the Word Tagine ( Moroccan ) or Tajine ( Berber) signifies slowly simmered ..

I have 3 recipes from Morocco for Tagine Cuisine:

Lamb with dates, crushed saffron and almonds.

Fish ( Grouper ) Tagine with Crushed Saffron and Red bell pepper ..

Chicken Tagine with Lemons & Olives ..

Unfortunately I must prepare during my time off, so that I can take some photos.

I am a tour oeprator & tour guide and we are getting busy now ..

It truly is a superbly splendid way of preparing lamb and chicken or fish as well.

Have a nice weekend ..

Yes - preserved lemons are the same thing. All you need is salt...

@morning glory,

Couscous and Preserved Lemons are indispensable ingredients for Moroccan cuisine.

They have very precise methods of preparing traditional preserved Moroccan lemons and Couscous too. It has a special (pot) or steamer called a 'Couscoussier '. It has 2 parts.

The top portion has tiny tiny holes in the bottom like a strainer, and the pot part holds the vegetables, chick peas and meat or fish or chicken and the steam that rises, goes through the holes.

Though, one need only prepare couscous in the Couscoussier as well ..

I am going to post up a récipe for a Tagine .. I believe I have a photo of a Chicken and Olive one but need to check ..

Have a lovely evening ..

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 3 recipes from Morocco for Tagine Cuisine:

Lamb with dates, crushed saffron and almonds.

Fish ( Grouper ) Tagine with Crushed Saffron and Red bell pepper ..

Chicken Tagine with Lemons & Olives ..

Please do post the recipes (in the relevant sections of the Forum). I cook Tagines quite often so I'm always interested. Harissa is my favourite part as I'm a chilli addict!

@morning glory,
Couscous and Preserved Lemons are indispensable ingredients for Moroccan cuisine.
They have very precise methods of preparing traditional preserved Moroccan lemons and Couscous too. It has a special (pot) or steamer called a 'Couscoussier '. It has 2 parts. The top portion has tiny tiny holes in the bottom like a strainer, and the pot part holds the vegetables, chick peas and meat or fish or chicken and the steam that rises, goes through the holes. .

Yes of course. But these days most people use the pre-cooked cous-cous which you simply hydrate. I have made it in the traditional manner, rubbing oil into the 'grains' and steaming in a couscoussier. But I'm not sure many people in the Western world do this any more.

Last edited:
Yes of course. But these days most people use the pre-cooked cous-cous which you simply hydrate. I have made it in the traditional manner, rubbing oil into the 'grains' and steaming in a couscoussier. But I'm not sure many people in the Western world do this any more.

@morning glory

I agree with you however, there is such a completely distinctly different taste profile ..

I do not use packaged Couscous. There is a Moroccan Kiosk in the main Barcelona Market, Mercat Boqueria
where they sell different size grained couscous from tiny to larger granuales and all its spices .. So fascinating. I believe that most of the Mediterranean still holds its traditions.

The Younger Generations, unfortunately are on " Fast Food " as in most of the world .. The key difference is the type of Fast Food. In Spain for example, fast food are Tapas, Pinxtos which are appetisers served on small sticks or with tooth picks and sándwiches called Bocadillos which are large " Spanish Baguette" type breads filled with Spanish Omelette or charcuterie.

Have a lovely Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom