Beer thoughts

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:00 AM
[Mod comment: this and several other posts moved to form new topic (TR)]

Yeah I never heard of pabst beer before . Never stop learning.

Russ
It's on in Portugal too, I've watched a couple episodes and really liked it. I've watched the episodes on cookies, on fast food, on McDonald's, on ice cream and on popsicles.

I've watched it, it was on a few months back here.

Russ

My dad used to drink Pabst.

They made cheese during prohibition!

Well actually they made the beer first, then prohibition came along and they weren't allowed to do that for a bit, so they figured out how to make cheese instead. Mr. Kraft wasn't thrilled about it, LOL!
Yeah the court case. Great show.

Russ

Really, really interesting, especially to us foodies (probably everyone in this forum and more), right?
Yeah how Kraft won court case but took a royalty from pabst and let them carry on doing cheese. The twists and turns your country has been through.
It really amazes me.

Russ

Yeah how Kraft won court case but took a royalty from pabst and let them carry on doing cheese. The twists and turns your country has been through.
It really amazes me.

Russ
Us too.

Russ

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) was on its way out, and then it became the chosen beer of hipsters, because it wasn't "mainstream." Then, it became mainstream, and hipsters, so it wasn't hip anymore. :laugh:

CD

Russ
I can't say much positive about the national brands of beer in the U.S. including Pabst. My favorite readily available national brand American beer is Bass Ale which is brewed in New Hampshire. There are thousands of craft brewers but most are available only locally to the brewery. We have several here locally but they aren't known outside the area. My favorite Euro beer is Stella Artois from Belgium. These two beers are the only ones I buy any more.

I too enjoy the History Channel programming about all the the things they think built America. Interesting stories. Highly recommended,

I can't say much positive about the national brands of beer in the U.S. including Pabst. My favorite readily available national brand American beer is Bass Ale which is brewed in New Hampshire. There are thousands of craft brewers but most are available only locally to the brewery. We have several here locally but they aren't known outside the area. My favorite Euro beer is Stella Artois from Belgium. These two beers are the only ones I buy any more.

I too enjoy the History Channel programming about all the the things they think built America. Interesting stories. Highly recommended,
I too like Bass and Stella. I also like Harp and Pilsner Urquell as imports. We have a great brewery up in NE Ohio, Great Lakes. My husband likes their Christmas ale and Dortmunder Gold. Have you tried Molson Canadian beers?

I think Bass is a British brand, with an American owner (Molson Coors?)

If you like Bass, have you tried Shiner Bock? It's a Texas (owned and brewed) beer that is all over the country these days. I think TastyReuben likes it from time to time.

CD

In the 1960s and 70s, 6 large breweries ruled the roost in the UK. The Big Six were Allied Breweries [Ansells, Ind Coope and Tetley], Bass, Courage, Grand Metropolitan [Watney Mann & Truman], Scottish & Newcastle and Whitbread. All their beer tasted the same (ie. crappy) and it was all pasteurised, pressurised into metal kegs and served with abundant CO2. That's when the Campaign for Real Ale started, promoting (and often rescuing) small, independent, traditional breweries that allowed their beers to ferment naturally in wooden barrels. The pressure worked, Allied, Bass, Courage, Grand Met and Whitbreads disappeared, and the UK now has about 2,500 independent breweries, and thousands of different beers available.
Bass Brewery

Last edited:
I too like Bass and Stella. I also like Harp and Pilsner Urquell as imports. We have a great brewery up in NE Ohio, Great Lakes. My husband likes their Christmas ale and Dortmunder Gold. Have you tried Molson Canadian beers?

When I'm in welly (wellington) I drink at the feathers arms. I fell in love with tuatara pilsner there. It's even on tap it's that popular.
True Story . When son was living at home years ago. I always carried a box of Heineken in my office. Whenever I went to get it, it was gone. Son took it to a party. After months I bought a cheap not cool beer. He never touched it again. His words, I'm not drinking that s#%%.

Russ

You bet. The Canadian beers are excellent as are some of the Mexican beers. There are lots of great import beers. I have just settled on the two because they satisfy and are readily available in our supermarket.

Back
Top Bottom