Beer thoughts

I think Bass is a British brand, with an American owner (Molson Coors?)
They say they use an English recipe and they probably do. I looked it up and you are correct. It is a brand of Molson Coors. But the brewery is in New Hampshire, U.S.A. That information is on the label.
If you like Bass, have you tried Shiner Bock? It's a Texas (owned and brewed) beer that is all over the country these days. I think TastyReuben likes it from time to time.

CD
I've never heard of of it, sorry. The Samuel Adams beers from Boston are also a nationally available brand that are good but I prefer a hopsy flavor like Stella Artois to the grainy flavor of Samuel Adams. But I recommend their products as well.

They say they use an English recipe and they probably do. I looked it up and you are correct. It is a brand of Molson Coors. But the brewery is in New Hampshire, U.S.A. That information is on the label.

I've never heard of of it, sorry. The Samuel Adams beers from Boston are also a nationally available brand that are good but I prefer a hopsy flavor like Stella Artois to the grainy flavor of Samuel Adams. But I recommend their products as well.

I like Stella, and really don't consider it hoppy. I don't like hoppy beers. Granted, I can't drink alcoholic beverages anymore, but I don't remember Stella being hoppy.

CD

I like Stella, and really don't consider it hoppy. I don't like hoppy beers. Granted, I can't drink alcoholic beverages anymore, but I don't remember Stella being hoppy.

CD
I'm comparing it to national brand American beers seem to avoid as much hops as they can. It isn't as hoppy as Heineken but hoppy enough for me. It is quite refreshing.

Yeah, I don't like bock beers, though I do like nut brown ales and most stouts. I also don't like Irish red ale for some reason, though I love other ales. Not that I would refuse to drink bock or red ale if someone put it in front of me, LOL. Also don't like "fruity" beers and yeah, I would likely take sip and pass on it. Not an IPA fan, either.

Yeah I never heard of pabst beer before
When I was 19/20yo, so 1986ish, the drinking age in NY had changed from 18 to 21, but I was in the military, and we were exempted from that…while drinking on the airbase only.

All the other single folks would go to the Airmen’s Club to go drinking and eat bar food…I’d go to the base bowling alley and drink Pabst tallboys (I think they were 24 ounces instead of the standard 12 ounce cans) for 75¢ - and eat SPAM fried rice for something like a buck a plate.

They made cheese during prohibition!
A lot of the Cincy brewers made soft drinks, near beer, and “healthy” drinks.

Luckily, they knocked that crap out as soon as people got some sense back and repealed that stupid amendment. :laugh:

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) was on its way out, and then it became the chosen beer of hipsters, because it wasn't "mainstream." Then, it became mainstream, and hipsters, so it wasn't hip anymore. :laugh:

CD
PBR was popular, but around here, the hipster beer was Natural (“Natty”) Light…but that’s because all our hipsters are really hillbsters - half hipster, half hillbilly! :wink:

When I was 19/20yo, so 1986ish, the drinking age in NY had changed from 18 to 21, but I was in the military, and we were exempted from that…while drinking on the airbase only.

All the other single folks would go to the Airmen’s Club to go drinking and eat bar food…I’d go to the base bowling alley and drink Pabst tallboys (I think they were 24 ounces instead of the standard 12 ounce cans) for 75¢ - and eat SPAM fried rice for something like a buck a plate.

I was drinking and going to bottle stores at 15. Drinking age here is 18. I was 5 11 back then with a raspy voice. And rode motorcycles.
I must have been a nightmare to my mum. She was 5 ft wet

Russ

We have a great brewery up in NE Ohio, Great Lakes. My husband likes their Christmas ale and Dortmunder Gold.
Those are two that I really like. I also like their Irish ale, and their Oktoberfest is excellent.

If you like Bass, have you tried Shiner Bock? It's a Texas (owned and brewed) beer that is all over the country these days. I think TastyReuben likes it from time to time.
Very true, I do like it. There isn’t much from Shiner I don’t like, and I’m glad it’s easy to get up here in Ohio.

The Samuel Adams beers from Boston
A lot of Sam Adams is brewed in Cincinnati (Jim Koch’s a local boy), so the beer is a local one for me, and I’ve had a lot of that over the years, including some experimental ones they try out here first before either going to a larger market or getting axed.

If I had to stick with one brewer the rest of my life, it’d probably be Sam Adams, because of their consistently high quality and wide variety of styles.

Sam Adams is good beer. The brewery is right between the football (soccer) stadium and my favourite Cigar bar, AND it's got a tap room!
I can't honestly say I've got a favourite beer. I like IPA, pale ale, brown ale, stout, English bitter, German Hefeweissen, Belgian Trappist ales; it just depends where I am and what's on offer.
When we were youngsters at university, we'd drink all sorts of lager. Carlsberg, Heineken, Stella, Harp, etc. I tried some for the first time in ages when I was back in the UK, and thought it was really horrible!! I actually tipped a can of Heineken down the drain. My tastes must have changed.
I do NOT enjoy these excessively hoppy ales they're playing with these days, nor do I like beer brewed with fruit, spices, nuts or herbs. Yuk.

My favourites (from long ago unfortunately).

beers.jpg

The list of individual beers I like is far too long…as is the list of ones I won’t drink, even for free.

Styles I like…I’m a seasonal beer drinker, mainly, so I like porters and stouts and barleywines in the winter, bocks in the spring, hefes and pilsners in the summer, and ambers and nut browns in the fall.

The Cincy metro area is blessed with right around 70 breweries, so there’s no shortage of beer here. I drank quite a bit of beer at one time, but these days, weight and health concerns have reduced that to very little, so when I do drink a beer, it’s a good one.

The worst beer I’ll drink is a Yuengling, simply because that’s the “premium” tap beer at places that cater to the BMC crowd will have, like the bar & grille closest to my house. Truth be told, it’s not much different than a BMC beer, but that’s what I’ll have when I’m waiting on a food order there (if they’re out of Sam Adams in the bottle).

Back
Top Bottom