Better late than never, says The Late Night Gourmet

I am not registered in any other forums, only cookingbites and I really enjoy it, both for the variety of forums and exchanges of opinions, recipes and even the people with whom I am good at chatting and joking a bit. When I was looking for an English cooking forum, I was looking for a little bit to improve and exercise in English and therefore also to understand new things about non-Italian cooking, . Of all those I saw, cookingbites is what caught my attention ... I had to say that at first I was very worried above all for my English, and I thought it was a limit and being put "a bit in one corner" to this. Instead, no. Nice this. Of course I still do not answer right now because I lose the pieces and the sense of certain phrases, but it's nice to try and learn and at the same time to interact with someone who is not a kid and has arguments other than food.
Fortunately, food is universal: you express yourself on the plate so well that the specific phrasing doesn't matter. We can understand what you're saying perfectly. :)

The last time I planned a trip to Italy I had to cancel.

I broke my hand in a baseball game the previous week, and I figured there was no way I could speak Italian with my hand and arm in a cast...

:p:

I am not registered in any other forums, only cookingbites and I really enjoy it, both for the variety of forums and exchanges of opinions, recipes and even the people with whom I am good at chatting and joking a bit. When I was looking for an English cooking forum, I was looking for a little bit to improve and exercise in English and therefore also to understand new things about non-Italian cooking, . Of all those I saw, cookingbites is what caught my attention ... I had to say that at first I was very worried above all for my English, and I thought it was a limit and being put "a bit in one corner" to this. Instead, no. Nice this. Of course I still do not answer right now because I lose the pieces and the sense of certain phrases, but it's nice to try and learn and at the same time to interact with someone who is not a kid and has arguments other than food.
If you lose or don't understand a phrase, just ask. Heck, English is my only language and I have to sometime ask, what did you mean to another person speaking supposedly the same language. I get asked quite frequently questions on my recipes because someone else didn't know what I was talking about.

If you lose or don't understand a phrase, just ask. Heck, English is my only language and I have to sometime ask, what did you mean to another person speaking supposedly the same language. I get asked quite frequently questions on my recipes because someone else didn't know what I was talking about.

Yes of course, I ask when I don't understand something and I did, but sometimes I wanted to don't ask too much because I thought that it's also right to try to translate on my own and make a little effort..and, by the way, what does it mean Heck? :happy:

In the sense I used it in, it is just an emphasis word. It can also mean surprise, frustration or dismay.
Thanks for asking.
By all means look something up but if it is still confusing ask because sometimes words have many different meanings.

In the sense I used it in, it is just an emphasis word. It can also mean surprise, frustration or dismay.
Thanks for asking.
By all means look something up but if it is still confusing ask because sometimes words have many different meanings.

Oh yes, sometimes words have many different meanings and sometimes when I use Google translate I laugh a lot because I read something that is so far also from my English knowledge and I say " this translation is horrible"..and in these situation I also could say now "Heck!" -By the way, thank you for reply-
So I concentrate my self about the conversation in the thread and little by little I understand. Not always but more often as I could imagine. Anyway I really like English and I like to improve it.

The last time I planned a trip to Italy I had to cancel.

I broke my hand in a baseball game the previous week, and I figured there was no way I could speak Italian with my hand and arm in a cast...

:p:
Ha very good! When I was doing stand up comedy, I was introduced and the compere handed me the mike. I placed it in the mike stand explaining that, being Italian, I needed both hands free!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha very good! When I was doing stand up comedy, I was introduced and the compere handed me the mike. I placed it in the mike stand explaining that, being Italian, I needed both hands free!

hahaah, oh yes! I see that our gesture is famous at least as much as spaghetti or pizza :happy:
As I had written some time ago in another post, we Italians if we did not have our arms would be mute. For us (and for me too) to gesture is talk twice ... we are very communicative ... and we like it! A couple of times I went to the restaurant and I talked and gesture so much and I hit the glasses on the table breaking them ... do you think I stopped then? noooooo

Oh yes, sometimes words have many different meanings and sometimes when I use Google translate I laugh a lot because I read something that is so far also from my English knowledge and I say " this translation is horrible"..and in these situation I also could say now "Heck!" -By the way, thank you for reply-
So I concentrate my self about the conversation in the thread and little by little I understand. Not always but more often as I could imagine. Anyway I really like English and I like to improve it.
Oh yes, sometimes the translations are hilarious.
I am more familiar with Asian to English.
Funniest one I ever read was "The herd of staffs at the hotel greeted me warmly". What he was trying to say was the entire staff at the hotel greeted me warmly.

I was actually attempting to proofread his book. I gave up after the first page because there were multiple errors in each sentence.

Funniest one I ever read was "The herd of staffs at the hotel greeted me warmly". What he was trying to say was the entire staff at the hotel greeted me warmly.

haha..Yes sometimes it's fun ... writing is still simple, but when you have to talk "de visu" is another thing.
I'm a little bit ashamed but I try to launch in speeches..Then if I ordered a horse instead of a salad, at least I tried :D

I was actually attempting to proofread his book. I gave up after the first page because there were multiple errors in each sentence.
When I lived in Germany, I worked for a translating agency who used to translate workshop/service manuals for cars, trucks, washing machines etc. My colleague and I often used to type text from handwritten translations as well as prepare typewritten texts and photos for printing. Proofreading was high on the agenda as well, as we used to have a good giggle over some of the translations (where we could understand them - the work could be in any world language which used a standard keyboard, and also in Greek), One time we were proofreading a car workshop manual which had been translated from German into Italian, and it soon became evident that a few pages had been omitted. We didn't have time to send it back to the translator as it was all very last minute, so my colleague and I had to translate the pages ourselves. Neither of us knew Italian.....

When I lived in Germany, I worked for a translating agency who used to translate workshop/service manuals for cars, trucks, washing machines etc. My colleague and I often used to type text from handwritten translations as well as prepare typewritten texts and photos for printing. Proofreading was high on the agenda as well, as we used to have a good giggle over some of the translations (where we could understand them - the work could be in any world language which used a standard keyboard, and also in Greek), One time we were proofreading a car workshop manual which had been translated from German into Italian, and it soon became evident that a few pages had been omitted. We didn't have time to send it back to the translator as it was all very last minute, so my colleague and I had to translate the pages ourselves. Neither of us knew Italian.....

And how did it go?

Back
Top Bottom