Biking and baking

Being from the southern U.S. i thought i'd point out cornbread isn't a dessert but a bread side dish usually served on the side of black eyed peas or collard greens. While some cornbread is sweeter than others some are much more a savory such a crackling cornbread, johnny bread is the sweetest version of cornbread that is more of a dessert often served with chilled fruit or fruit curd.

Any other cyclists on here who want to share details of a few of their favourite home-made long haul snacks?
Half a loaf of my homemade olive bread is just the thing after 30 miles.
I usually ride up to 20 miles on empty, morning coffee only.
If I'm in for a long, hilly ride (over 50 miles for me), I'll take cold porridge made up with water, dried fruit, nuts, seeds in the mix.

Half a loaf of my homemade olive bread is just the thing after 30 miles.
I usually ride up to 20 miles on empty, morning coffee only.
If I'm in for a long, hilly ride (over 50 miles for me), I'll take cold porridge made up with water, dried fruit, nuts, seeds in the mix.
Off-topic but hello stranger!

I'm not much of a cyclist any longer (not in 3 decades), but I do still like to hike. I go with the old Boy Scout standard when it comes to energy boosting snacks: GORP and jerky.

GORP is an acronym for Good Ol' Raisins and Peanuts. It doesn't hurt to throw in some M&Ms, although that often leads to arguments with the one despicable person who picks out the chocolate for themselves, assuaging respect of the balance of the going concern.

And I crave salt and protein on long hikes, so jerky; be it beef, turkey, or fish, fills the bill.

Last edited:
Hi @Pat "5mph" . I don't think we have met! :wave:.

I'd love to hear more about your olive bread. Is it a flatbread/focaccia type bread?
Hi @morning glory!
Not flat, focaccia type the way I make it, although it could be made as a flatbread.
Olive bread is Greek in origin, I have spent sometime working in Greek Cypriot restaurants years ago (I work in catering), love their food.
Will put up a picture next time I make it: I'm a bit lax with bread recipes, I go by feel :happy:

I have spent sometime working in Greek Cypriot restaurants years ago (I work in catering),
Oh gosh! Well it will be great if you can share some of your experience on the forum.

ill put up a picture next time I make it: I'm a bit lax with bread recipes, I go by feel
Please do - we have a regular thread: What did you cook, eat or drink today? where members can post photos. But if you do get round to writing a recipe up then just post it as a new thread. We could do with more bread threads!

Mostly I cycle just to get to places rather than as a sport or leisure activity. If we do "go out for a bike ride" it usually involves pit stops at a pub or two so provisions aren't really needed.
But then a lot of people don't consider riding an ebike as proper "cycling" either :headshake:

Those cyclists wearing lycra probably don't ... but the rest of us 'real' cyclists do !
To be honest I don't really care what they think :p: in the 10 months since I got the ebike I've definitely cycled way more than I did the on my old hybrid so I'm happy. Its a proper armchair bike: stepthrough with a nice comfy saddle and I never wear lycra so I don't think anyone will be mistaking me for someone out for a race.

And when I've got two panniers full of garlic or onions we've just harvested from the allotment, or fruit and veg from the market in town I'm very happy to have a bit of extra help up the (admittedly quite small) hills on the way home :okay:

in the 10 months since I got the ebike I've definitely cycled way more than I did the on my old hybrid so I'm happy.

Yes - and you're getting cardio-vascular exercise and some fresh air. I wish more people who "don't like cycling" would investigate ebikes more closely - and then dip their toes in the water.

I confess to feeling slightly miffed when overtaken by an ebiker going uphill, but that's outweighed by the pleasure I get in knowing that there are more people than ever biking, because of the availability of ebikes.

That's pretty much the way I feel about it too: anything that gets people out on bikes has got to be a good thing. There's room for us all on the roads :okay:
I confess to feeling slightly miffed when overtaken by an ebiker going uphill
Understandable....no-one likes being overtaken :wink:

I don't think ebikes will ever replace normal bikes, particularly for riding for sport, exercise or leisure. But I think they're a great tool for utility cycling where you just want to get from a to b without arriving all sweaty.

Back
Top Bottom