Breakfast on an open fire

L_B

Veteran
Local time
10:33 AM
Last weekend we went camping and my fiance was up early in the morning getting the fire ready for breakfast. We had bacon, eggs, toast and coffee. It was really good. There is just something about breakfast being cooked outside on an open fire. We camped at the beach so while we enjoyed our breakfast we were able to watch the boats/yachts going up and down the river. It was a beautiful morning.

So have you ever cooked breakfast on an open fire? If so what did you have?

Pudgy Pies.... Breakfast, Lunch, and dinner. You can put anything inside of them, and there perfect on the go snacks once there cooked. Make a dozen in the morning and you got breakfast and lunch for at least three; perfect for hiking trips.

Last weekend we went camping and my fiance was up early in the morning getting the fire ready for breakfast. We had bacon, eggs, toast and coffee. It was really good. There is just something about breakfast being cooked outside on an open fire. We camped at the beach so while we enjoyed our breakfast we were able to watch the boats/yachts going up and down the river. It was a beautiful morning.

So have you ever cooked breakfast on an open fire? If so what did you have?
I wish :cry:

Last May, we had an overnight birthday celebration in a mountain resort for my niece's birthday. There were about 25 of us. It was a camping and picnic so a barbecue that night was expected. In the morning, our breakfast was fried rice and bread with fried hotdogs and bacon and fried dried fish too. It was difficult to cook over the charcoal. No, we cannot cook on an open fire, it was too hot.

Reactions: L_B
We always bring a cast iron skillet and dutch oven when we go camping so we can cook over the campfire. My husband takes pride in his campfire bacon and eggs.

I camped a bit when I was younger and I loved cooking on an open fire. You have to get creative since you are limited to what you can make and what you have brought with you. For breakfast I usually make bacon and eggs, sometimes home fries if I have thought it out ahead of time and par boiled potatoes. For lunch we usually do grilled cheese sandwiches and supper can be steaks and baked potatoes. I find the hardest part about cooking outdoors is the clean up. I'm not a huge fan of washing greasy pans to begin with and then when you are limited with water it makes it harder. Cooking on a grill eliminates that problem, though. The food always tastes great when you are eating outdoors.

I used to do a lot of camping and breakfast was normally some cereal and milk, however we did have a Coleman stove and did make eggs with bacon, ham or sausage, and toast every once in a while. I just can't have a huge breakfast like that every morning. I will say, however, that there's just something about having breakfast outdoors or I should say food in general. Just sitting there in the quiet of nature and eating, it's great. I miss camping and hopefully we'll start it back up now that our son would be old enough to come with us.

We always bring a cast iron skillet and dutch oven when we go camping so we can cook over the campfire. My husband takes pride in his campfire bacon and eggs.

Yeah, we do this every year when we go out camping for a few weeks. We bring a few food stuff but mostly we rely on fishing and hunting. Since its not guaranteed to catch anything, I make sure to bring some stuff as well. One of my favorite breakfast meals was when I brought some ham hocks and made us up some good quality underground cooked baked beans. That was good with some bannock I tell you.

I've never cooked on an open fire - don't think you can count putting a kettle on the dining room grate! - but where I was in Greece in the 1960s there was no mains gas or electric (or water for that matter) and everyone cooked on an open fire outside or took their food to the local bakers. The lady I stayed with did have a calor gas type stove courtesy of her son who lived in Germany but she was an exception. She didn't use it very much though except for the hob because of the cost and scarcity of gas cylinders in the area (very remote).

You would think I have with all the lovely beaches five minutes away from my home and beautiful weather all year round but I have not. Reading this makes me want to do it but when and with what company?

Back
Top Bottom