Breakfast Starters?

Maybe I'm unaware of what a breakfast 'starter' is but I would suggest something along the lines of toast triangles or smoothie shots. As for the main may I suggest egg muffins? Take a circle of toast place at the bottom of muffin tin. Partially cook bacon & wrap around the tin &/or cook up your favourite morning protein with perhaps some onion or spinach. Place this in the tin next with some cheese & crack an egg on top. Toss in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10 to 15 minutes (depending on how well you like your eggs). Tah dah! Adorable.
baconeggmuffins.jpg
This looks amazing.I can't wait to try it. What a great ideas to have the bacon wrapped around the egg.

I had a feeling that this wasn't a British flapjack. In the USA a flapjack is a pancake. But as @SpongeyB is in Kenya I wasn't sure. It was the way @SpongeyB said they were light and easy to make (as if they were being made in the morning). Just couldn't imagine making British flapjacks first thing in the morning for breakfast, whereas pancakes can be described as easy to make and light.

But of course they could be eaten for breakfast.
Flapjacks USA style are what I was talking about. Easy to make and can be done within a short time to be served hot for breakfast. Usually serve them off the pan to the family. :)

As I wake up in the morning I drink one to two glass of water one hour before having breakfast. They said this is a good thing after a long fast from sleeping the water will cleanse all the toxins in your body and will activate your internal organs before you start your day. I am doing this for many years already and it really do wonders for my health. This is my breakfast starter before any kind of food intake.

Breakfast starters.....It sounds like a very posh affair. I would not be able to make much of a contribution since my breakfast doesn't start until lunch. Anyway I like the list of things the Chef Bertie mentioned.

Mmm, everything here looks and sounds great, especially the egg muffins. My breakfast starter is cat and fish food, since they get fed first, while the coffee or tea is brewing. I have to have some liquid before I'm functional enough to cook, or even pour cereal. I'm still eating a fried egg and toast these days, but I will sometimes switch up how I cook the egg, or occasionally, will have cereal instead.

You can always go with French toast or Serbian version that I have explained here. It is simple and its rustic look will add that x factor to it. You can serve it with something that we call Kajmak in Serbia and I wasn't able to find a proper word for it yet in English. It is a kind of cream. So, when you boil the milk you get that fat on top. If it is milk with high percentage of fat you will get more of that cream or fat, whatever. What we do in Serbia is taking that stuff and put it in large containers in layers. We put cream than we put salt and people do it with large amounts of milk, like tons. From 5 litres of milk you get barely 1 kilo of that cream. So it costs 5 time more than milk or cheese. I managed to make it myself but in small quantities. This is what you get.
http://www.mojatv.rs/files/article/srbija/8/kajmak-wiki.jpg

If you manage to pull this through and make some French toast, maybe grill some eggplants, mushrooms and zucchini to make a side dish or just an easy salad for this you will be a hit.

I am not sure in my country we have something called a breakfast starter. Maybe it is just a cultural thing, but we usually eat just breakfast, without any starters, etc. Is it like a cultural thing for just some countries, or people everywhere do that, with the exception of my country?

Yeah, I still don't really know what is meant by a breakfast starter. I mean I am usually thirsty when I wake up so I drink some juice first thing before any kind of food. Some drink coffee, and some drink water...but I think you all mean some kind of pre breakfast appetizer or something..Can someone clarify? We seem confused on this topic.

I have honestly never heard of anyone having breakfast starters before. However, I do have a few ideas. Individual quiches with smoked bacon and mushrooms? A slice of black pudding topped with a quail's egg? A simple melon or fruit salad? Bruschetta topped with typical breakfast ingredients? Just a few thoughts!

Breakfast starters are great! Especially if you have family in town and you want to cook everyone a big breakfast but they are already awake and ready to eat:) I agree with @Corzhens about the fruit but I like to add yogurt and serve parfaits. I take a few of my short tumblers add plain yogurt to them and then stir in agave to sweeten. I top it with fresh fruit and granola. For fruit, my favorites are always strawberries, bananas, and blueberries. If you wanted to go the salty path then I like to do breakfast in a blanket. I cook large omelette with my desired ingredients ham or bacon but leave out the cheese. Season the omelette while cooking. Use puff pastry homemade or store bought if you don't have time (puff pastry can be challenging) and cut into small triangles. The store bought dough comes with packages pre-cut. Slice up your omelette evenly and then set a single slice on top of the triangles puff pastry. Top with cheese if desired then roll up and stab with a tooth pick. Bake in the oven and a beautiful breakfast Hors D'oeuvres!

Back
Top Bottom