Burgers......ugh!

zuludog

Veteran
Local time
1:30 AM
I like to think that I'm a reasonable cook, but I live on my own, and sometimes I just get tired of thinking and preparing food from scratch, so yesterday I bought some beefburgers

I was in one of the top 4 supermarkets and bought some of their upmarket beefburgers; minced steak, caramelised onions, and all the rest of the marketing blurb
Had them last night and they were, well, burgers - greasy, bits of gristle, and they left loads of fat in the frying pan
This morning the place smelled of stale fat, even though I'd cleaned the frying pan afterwards

So I Searched YouTube and found recipes for veggie burgers which I thought were OK, but not wonderful, though I didn't look at them all, and I haven't tried any yet
I also found recipes for stir - fried cabbage, so I'll probably try that
I probably won't go completely vegetarian, but I'm cutting down on meat and I think I'll definitely stop buying beefburgers

Why didn't I grill the burgers? Well my grill isn't very good, and I have to ask if it's worth buying a new cooker, just to get a decent grill

Its easy enough to make your own burgers if you want to eat meaty ones - just get some good quality minced beef - add whatever seasoning you wish and shape into burgers by hand. I think a few of us here make our own...

We make our own - very nice too. No need to go to the trouble of vegetarian imitations, pick your mince [not too lean - or add a little suet] season to choice and [important] pick a good bread-bun. Almost as quick to do as opening the packet of ready made ones.

I make my own with carrots in as well as mince, onions, one egg, and very little else - one of the first recipes I ever posted, and it won the Cooking Bites Recipe Challenge

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/beefburgers.7169/#post-50170

The only burgers I ever buy are from Riverford who do their own small range of veggie burgers.

I buy pre-made burgers here (beef) from the same source as pre-made sausage (pork). My only complaint about both products is that they contain too much spice. I obviously like spicy food but I prefer to add my own concoctions. Saying that, when I make a beef burger I add so much else to the bun that the initial flavour is slightly overpowered. (Yes, I've tried making my own burgers but they always fall apart during cooking).

When my 2 grandsons come to visit: ( their parents and I do not permit McDonalds or Burger King or Kentucky Fried Chicken due to the tremendous amount of additives and chemicals ) ..

I prepare what we call The Guillamet Burger (surname) and can be done with 100% beef, a mix of ground or mince beef and porc, 100% lamb, 100% chicken, or 100% Turkey or a Vegetarian Burger ..

Lemon Olive Mayonnaise:
3 / 4 cup home made Mayonnaise
2 tblsps of Green olives ( of choice )
2 Tblsps minced lemon zest
1 sun dried red chili pepper ( called guindillas in Spanish and can be purchased in any Latin Market )

Combine all the ingredients after you have prepared the Mayonnaise .. I use a stand up mixer ..

Burger:

Take your meat and place in a large crystal bowl:
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1 small minced shallot
1/4 small diced red horn or bell fresh pepper ( de. seeded )
1 clove garlic minced
a pinch of chili spice

And combine all well ..

1) Prepare the shape you wish on a wooden board ..
2) In a grilling skillet, 1 tablsp of Extra virgin olive oil ..
3) When very hot, place your Burger (s) on the grill after brushing very lightly, with a teaspoon of Evoo ..
4) Grill for approx ( depending on how you like your meat ) 3 to 4 minutes per side ..

Buns or Bread:

Prepare the bread with the Lemon Olive Mayo, shredded lettuce, some finely chopped tomato ( de-seeded and peeled ) .. Optional: Cheese preferred ..

Take a paper plate ( no need to bother washing dishes for a Burger ) and Enjoy !!!

Last edited:
The mutt and I had a free burger from McDonalds - they were giving away vouchers for their Classic collection. I was pleasantly surprised - it was very tasty; a great change from how they used to be (the last time I had a McDonalds burger was over 20 years ago, and it was disgusting). There were no additives in the burger itself, and the bacon only had the normal ingredients in it. Can't comment on the mayo - I don't eat it - or on the bun itself. The ingredients list for that was rather long, but I doubt whether it had any extra ingredients to the supermarket buns.

The mutt and I had a free burger from McDonalds - they were giving away vouchers for their Classic collection. I was pleasantly surprised - it was very tasty; a great change from how they used to be (the last time I had a McDonalds burger was over 20 years ago, and it was disgusting). There were no additives in the burger itself, and the bacon only had the normal ingredients in it. Can't comment on the mayo - I don't eat it - or on the bun itself. The ingredients list for that was rather long, but I doubt whether it had any extra ingredients to the supermarket buns.

Yep! McDonald's is much maligned but in the UK at least, their burgers are made from 100% British and or Irish fresh meat and their 'fries' are made from 100% British potatoes. which are simply sliced and frozen. No additives whatsoever except for salt and pepper.

Yep! McDonald's is much maligned but in the UK at least, their burgers are made from 100% British and or Irish fresh meat and their 'fries' are made from 100% British potatoes. which are simply sliced and frozen. No additives whatsoever except for salt and pepper.

What they are made from in Thailand and Malaysia I do not know. I do know that they taste crap. And I'm speaking from experience - I had one in Kuala Lumpur in 1998 and one in Bangkok in 2009.

Many moons ago we had an early start and McD was the only place open so we went in for a breakfast brunch muffin... never again :sick:

Back
Top Bottom