Recipe Burnt Aubergine Soup with Rice and Herbs

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
3:06 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I came across this recipe whilst looking for an aubergine soup and it hit the spot.
I ended up modifying the recipe adding more spices but the end result was exceptionally nice.

20230815_182520.jpg

I've added some urfa piper flakes at the end. I also thought that a can of chickpeas would work very well with this soup.

A few notes: some of the ingredients I've added are ranges, add to your taste. If you don't like the heat from chilies, then deseed the fresh red chilli before dicing and adding to the stock. If you're not keen on cumin, use less of it.

Ingredients (serves 6)
3-4 medium aubergines
90ml olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3-6 garlic cloves, minced
1 red chilli, diced
1 tin (400g) diced tomatoes*
1 tbsp cumin seeds
½ tbsp ground coriander
½-1 tbsp ground cumin
½-1 tbsp smoked sweet paprika
½ tbsp Alleppo pepper flakes
800ml veg stock, plus a little extra (optional)
120g long-grain rice, well rinsed and drained.
1½ tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp sugar
10g dill, finely chopped
10g flatleaf parsley, chopped
½ tbsp grated lemon zest

Method
Aubergines:

1. Set up a barbecue for direct grilling (coals in the centre of the barbecue) – or use the flame of a gas hob. (Line the stovetop with foil to reduce the mess.) Pierce the aubergines several times with a fork, then put over the coals or directly over the flame on your stove. Char them all over, turning regularly, until blackened and soft. Once cooked, remove and set aside until cool enough to handle.
  2. Peel the aubergines (discard/eat :whistling: the skin) and chop the flesh into chunks. Transfer to a bowl, drizzle with 60ml of the olive oil, mix and season well. Set aside while you get on with making the soup.
Soup:
  1. Add remaining 2tbsp olive oil to a large pan and set over a medium heat. Add the onion and cumin seeds and cook, stirring regularly, for 5-7 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and chilli, then continue to fry for 2-3 minutes.
  2. Stir in the tomatoes and ground spices, then add the beg stock, rice, lemon juice and sugar. Turn down the heat to low and simmer² for 20-25 minutes until the rice is just tender. About 5 minutes before the end of this 20-25 minutes, add the aubergines to the soup to warm through.
  3. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Add more stock or water if the soup is too thick.
  4. Stir in the herbs and lemon zest just before serving.
20230815_181621.jpg

Notes
1. If you don’t have a barbecue or gas hob, brush the aubergines with oil and char in a hot griddle pan or under a hot grill. Turn regularly until blackened evenly.
2. If your rice takes less time, or much longer, adjust the cooking time accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom