Can you guess what it is ?

try this again its something thats well know but cooked in a different way

fried corn 2.jpg

its a common way of cooking corn in the southern states , but no one here in the west has ever cooked it this way , but i grew up eating it this way , the corn has to be cut off the cob while its fresh and has all the milk in it , then to cook it is simple , just put a couple of tablespons of veg. oil in a frying pan add the corn salt and black pepper to taste and cook on a med heat until it thickens
( 20-30 min ) and serve

its a common way of cooking corn in the southern states , but no one here in the west has ever cooked it this way , but i grew up eating it this way , the corn has to be cut off the cob while its fresh and has all the milk in it , then to cook it is simple , just put a couple of tablespons of veg. oil in a frying pan add the corn salt and black pepper to taste and cook on a med heat until it thickens
( 20-30 min ) and serve

Must be a Deep South thing, because I haven't ever seen it in Texas. Deep South and Texas cooking have a lot of overlap, but they are not exactly the same, so I get surprised from time-to-time by "Southern" foods I've never heard of.

BTW, I did get the corn part, sort of. I thought maybe it was a variation on corn tortillas. :scratchhead:

CD

it has a complety different flavor than any other way of cooking corn ,when fresh corn is ready out here in colorado we will buy anywhere from 3 -600 ears and cut it off and and put it in the freezer to have year round oh and i guess i should tell you that it is " sweet corn " altho some folks like feild corn done the same way. it used to be a very labor intensive job using one of those old corn cutters that you push the cob back and forth on in order to cut and scrape the cob . but last year i bought a tool that goes on a drill that makes the process a breeze ...best $80.00 i ever spent

the old way it would take the wife and i about 10 hours to shuck , silk and cream 300 ears.
doing it the new way using the drill we did 300 ears in about 2 hours this past summer

Opera Snapshot_2023-11-25_113548_www.amazon.com.png Opera Snapshot_2023-11-25_113735_www.amazon.com.png

I use butter instead of oil, and use a bit of cream as well. That's the way my grandmother, mother and aunts made it.

A trick I learned from Jacques P. is to hold the knife at a fairly sharp angle when cutting kernels off the cob. This  drastically cuts down on kernels bouncing everywhere.

one of my sisters puts a touch of milk in hers when she cooks it , i like it better without the milk added , all i want to taste is the corn

I've had that - albeit fried to the point there it has a crispy crust, and serves in "chunks"

from my childhood 'holiday tables' is a corn casserole - creamed corn + kernel corn + egg + flour + sugar
it's taken me a long time to 're-perfect' the recipe.
starts out like
cdcombo1.jpg

finishes as
IMG_1664.JPG

Back
Top Bottom