Cannot make soft bread

foodlover

Veteran
Local time
7:34 PM
Why is it that I cannot make a really soft bread, like that from the supermarket.

I do not use a bread maker, just by hand.

I have tried a few recipes so there must be something I am missing or it just cannot be done without industrial machines.

Can anyone give me a recipe and technique needed to make a good soft bread, brown or white?

I would suspect there are many reasons why but the most obvious that come to mind immediately are
  1. You are not using additives and a flour softener
  2. You have not kneaded the dough looking enough for the gluten to really develop
  3. You are expecting it to remain soft the day after cooking. It won't.
  4. You are not adding dairy to the dough - being allergic to dairy this is a big issue for me because any shop bought bread that had the word soft in its title almost always has dairy as an ingredient.
Plus I have to ask, why are you trying to make something artificial when bread is not traditionally soft and fluffy with no substance? You are basically buying the retailer's consumer imposed impression of what bread should be and not what the traditional product is about (flavour and substance).

Try substituting milk for some or all of the water. "Milk bread" is much softer in texture than bread made with water.

If you have an issue with dairy products you can also substitute nut milks. I use fat reduced almond milk for white bread, and hazelnut milk for wholemeal or multi seed loaves. Not only does it create amazingly soft bread but it also stays fresh far longer than water based doughs - sandwich fresh for up to a week!

Try substituting milk for some or all of the water. "Milk bread" is much softer in texture than bread made with water.

If you have an issue with dairy products you can also substitute nut milks. I use fat reduced almond milk for white bread, and hazelnut milk for wholemeal or multi seed loaves. Not only does it create amazingly soft bread but it also stays fresh far longer than water based doughs - sandwich fresh for up to a week!
Well, that is most interesting. I use almond milk a lot as it is much lower in calories than semi-skimmed milk and I like the taste. I will have to try out using it in bread. Do you have a particular white bread recipe you use? If so, why not post you recipe with almond milk as a new Recipe thread? :happy:

Well, that is most interesting. I use almond milk a lot as it is much lower in calories than semi-skimmed milk and I like the taste. I will have to try out using it in bread. Do you have a particular white bread recipe you use? If so, why not post you recipe with almond milk as a new Recipe thread? :happy:

I must confess to a little cheat here! For everyday loaves I use a packet mix, usually Tesco or Co-op, so I really can't post a recipe! A 500g packet mix plus 320ml of unsweetened almond milk, a knob of butter and a drizzle of olive oil. Into the dough machine for 2hrs 20mins, knock back, put in the tin and leave covered on top of stove for 30mins or so until doubled in size (at least). Bake for 30mins at 180 deg (fan oven). There are no unpleasant additives in the mixes and the results are superb :)

I must confess to a little cheat here! For everyday loaves I use a packet mix, usually Tesco or Co-op, so I really can't post a recipe! A 500g packet mix plus 320ml of unsweetened almond milk, a knob of butter and a drizzle of olive oil. Into the dough machine for 2hrs 20mins, knock back, put in the tin and leave covered on top of stove for 30mins or so until doubled in size (at least). Bake for 30mins at 180 deg (fan oven). There are no unpleasant additives in the mixes and the results are superb :)
Why not? I make my own because its easy but I have used bread mixes in the past. However, I'm curious about this 'dough machine'. What is it doing for 2 hrs 20 mins? I just knead by hand and leave to rise. So easy! I'm beginning to think that you are Mr Gadget! :laugh:

Why not? I make my own because its easy but I have used bread mixes in the past. However, I'm curious about this 'dough machine'. What is it doing for 2 hrs 20 mins? I just knead by hand and leave to rise. So easy! I'm beginning to think that you are Mr Gadget! :laugh:
I can't knead bread properly (it's either the arthritis, or I'm just useless at it) so I use a breadmaker on the dough setting and when the dough is risen I finish it off in the oven. I can't stand bread cooked in the breadmaker anyway. It doesn't taste right to me, the texture is too coarse, and it seems to go stale very quickly. Also, a breadmaker is very useful if, like me, you don't have central heating and the kitchen is very cold in winter. I use a mix of 1/3 whey and 2/3 water plus the occasional egg and half wholemeal/half white strong flour or all white. I usually also put unsalted butter in but occasionally olive oil. The bread can be unbelievably soft inside, especially if covered with a teatowel whilst cooling. I always keep some bread kits in the cupboard either for breads I don't make very often or just in case I run out of flour.

@foodlover please let me know how your next attempt works out. The last and only one I tried was like lead. That might be an exaggeration but it was horrible in my opinion but looked good in a picture. Since then the whole bread making thing has been on pause and I still feel inadequate when it comes to trying again.

I can't knead bread properly (it's either the arthritis, or I'm just useless at it) so I use a breadmaker on the dough setting and when the dough is risen I finish it off in the oven. I can't stand bread cooked in the breadmaker anyway. It doesn't taste right to me, the texture is too coarse, and it seems to go stale very quickly. Also, a breadmaker is very useful if, like me, you don't have central heating and the kitchen is very cold in winter. I use a mix of 1/3 whey and 2/3 water plus the occasional egg and half wholemeal/half white strong flour or all white. I usually also put unsalted butter in but occasionally olive oil. The bread can be unbelievably soft inside, especially if covered with a teatowel whilst cooling. I always keep some bread kits in the cupboard either for breads I don't make very often or just in case I run out of flour.
No central heating!?:eek:

No! Couldn't stand the CH at my old flat (warm air), and in this house there were only radiators downstairs, but every year, when I put the heating on, I got the most awful sore throats and colds. The boiler gave up the ghost about 15 years ago. Everyone who came to give us a quote (including someone I know who wouldn't have me on) said the pipes would have to be changed as the old ones were wrong size for new boilers etc and the outlet would have to be moved, and so I was thinking of getting rid. When I eventually had my throat problems officially diagnosed, the consultant said it would be aggravated by CH (air too dry) so that settled it. I live in a timber-framed house which faces south east, so it gets the sun, and it keeps very warm (far too warm in summer!). I've got two stove-type electric fires (one up, one down). The downstairs one keeps the place at about 70F/21C - it very rarely gets below 65F/18C in the living room - and I've only had to put the upstairs one on twice in about two years just to give it a boost! There is a heated towel rail in the bathroom. If it gets cold during the night, I just chuck another cat on the bed :roflmao:

We live with it turned off. Always have done. I'm only just in my 40s and grew up without central heating for the first 20 odd years of my life. Rented homes then had an 'economy Severn' overnight storage radiator in them where you had to plan to be cold... The result was I never used them unless there was a prolonged spell below zero and only then reluctantly. The current place and out last place both have central heating. The old place was on oil fired one because of where we lived and we rarely bothered using it. Living instead with the windows open all year round. It was really only when it dropped below -10C that we brought the Guinea pigs in and shut the windows. We were remote enough that living with windows open wasn't a problem for security. Our current place (for the next 8/9 days when we move out) has gas central heating on a combi boiler so to have hot water, I have to pay for gas... I don't have the heating on much at all, and certainly not in the bedrooms where the windows have not been closed since we moved in.

I am also one who gets ill when I live in places that are centrally heated. The new place won't have heating but an open fire or wood burning stove.

@foodlover please let me know how your next attempt works out. The last and only one I tried was like lead. That might be an exaggeration but it was horrible in my opinion but looked good in a picture. Since then the whole bread making thing has been on pause and I still feel inadequate when it comes to trying again.
Have you tried with fresh yeast?

I let it rise initially, then I deflate the dough and let it rise again, deflate it again and then I put it into the proving basket to rise again.

What I have learned about bread making.
Check the expiration date on the yeast.
Do not put in a super hot place to rise. You will kill the yeast.

If you are doing it by hand, make sure you knead the bread for at least 15 minutes, prefer 20. Let rise covered at least an hour or until doubled in size.
If you have a cooler place, you can warm the bowl you will be using before putting the bread in.

If you are using a bread machine, be sure and put the ingredients in it as listed in your owner's manual and do not let the salt and yeast touch. It is ok for the sugar and the yeast to touch before starting the machine.

I use the dough cycle. It kneads for 5 minutes, rests for 5, then kneads for 20. Then rises for an hour.

Oh and I store my yeast in the freezer.
One can also use a stand mixer to knead the dough.

Back
Top Bottom