Childhood Sweets (Candies)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:49 PM
sweet-jars-on-shelves-in-a-scottish-sweetshop-b1t24p.jpg

I didn't really know where to put this thread - I'm not referring to sweets as in puddings or desserts but sweets such as humbugs, chews, aniseed balls etc. Such things are a big tradition in the UK and in recent years the old fashioned sweet shop has seen a revival in some towns and cities. I haven't really got a sweet tooth but (perhaps its nostalgia), I do eat sweets in the car when I'm driving. Its a habit...

Do you ever eat sweets? What are your favourites? When do you eat them? And which ones do you remember from your childhood?

Last edited:
@morning glory

Firstly, I am probably the worst person to ask about sweets as even as a kid, I have never cared very much for sweets ..

I have always loved the majority of fresh seasonal fruit .. And have a penchant for figs, dates, and raisins ..

My favorite "sweet snack with an Espresso" are Cannolli when in Sicily or Italy ..

Candy shops: I was always very adventurous and so, as a kid, Licorise comes to mind .. It was perhaps one of the very few sweets I liked, both the black and red .. They were ribbon shaped .. ( I love fennel which has a mild anise aroma and taste ) ..

I like goat cheese or ricotta with honey .. However, I rarely eat sweets that are industrialised .. If I do eat something sweet, it is early in the morning or 11am with my Espresso ..

I have more of a penchant for Italian bread sticks and crispy cirspy crackers & cheese ..

During Xmas, I have a piece of classic hard Almond Nougat ( Turrón ) ..

Good post and goodnight Dear ..
12.50 am ..

I used to give up smoking quite regularly. I got through kilos of these during the cold turkey stage.

midget_gems__60359.jpg
Maynards? They used to be essential car glove box items. I could probably still tuck into a packet of those now, even though I don't eat sweets much.

Ah, car journey favourites. In season when I used to travel between Glasgow and Chester regularly, the bites were very sour gooseberries. Easily managed 2 kilos between myself and my boss during the journey.

Walking through the supermarket or at the checkout I will occasionally pick up a pack of M 'n' Ms (Smarties). They are likely to sit in the fridge for 3 to 4 weeks before I open them.

I remember sherbet lemons as a kid. Are they still sold?

I'm a liquorice fan. Liquorice All sorts still make me smile. I don't really buy sweets though,. I would probably buy them for grandson but daughter doesn't approve. There is a sweet shop in Alton which is also a chocolate shop and has retro sweets. Does anyone remember sherbet dabs?

Back
Top Bottom