Recipe Chilli sans Carne

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:20 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Over the years I've been looking for a substitute to chilli con carne. Something vegan that tastes just as good and I have finally come up with a good pot of chilli sans carne. As a word of warning, we like it spicy, so if you don't ...halve the chilli quantity (dried and fresh). If the end product is too hot and you're vegetarian, not vegan, you can add yoghurt or sour cream to lessen the heat of the chilli but remember that when you serve it over rice you'll dilute the heat in effect.

This works well with either vegan mince, soya chunks (cooked in veg stock) or believe it or not grated mushrooms.

Ingredients
1tbsp olive oil
1-2 onions finely chopped
1 large or 2 small red peppers
6 birds eye chillies, sliced through but with stalk left on
1 haberano chilli pepper, finely diced
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1-2 tsp hot chilli powder
1 tbsp Hungarian paprika
2 tsp ground cumin
200g dried weight soya mince or 500g vegan mince or +500g grated mushrooms
1-2 tsp Marigold veg stock powder
2 tins chopped or diced tomatoes
1-2 tsp dried marjoram
2 tsp brown sugar
2 tins kidney beans
2-4 tbsp tomato pureé
2-3 pieces dark (vegan) chocolate

Method
  1. If you are using soya mince, cook it for 5 minutes in vegetable stock first, then drain it retaining the cooking fluid. Ensure that the larger lumps are cooked before draining.
  2. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan, add the onions and cook until translucent.
  3. If using grated mushrooms or vegan mince add them in now and cook until the mushrooms soften (in a covered pan) or start to brown if using the vegan mince.
  4. Add the garlic, red pepper, chilli peppers, chilli powder, paprika, cumin, and cook for a few minutes until the peppers start to soften and cook, but don't let the spices burn. If they start to add water to the pot immediately.
  5. Once the red peppers have started to soften, add the soya mince now if using. Mix in well.
  6. Add in the tinned tomatoes, tomato pureé, stock powder (sprinkle it over the pot), marjoram, sugar and enough retained stock to ensure you can cook the chilli for 45 minutes on a low simmer to get a nice, thick, rich sauce.
  7. Add in the kidney beans and chocolate and turn off the heat of you're making this for the next day. If you're eating this immediately, season to taste (include sugar in your seasoning) and serve but it is best left to mature.
_20190217_165115.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_3873.JPG
    DSC_3873.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 241
I will bet this dish has a BITE to it...
I think we're used to chilli to be honest. Plus my ground chilli powder really needs replacing. The hot summers here even indoors which can reach 30-35°C, just kills spices. And only 3 of those ingredients are chilis (mostly because that was what was left in my fridge) .But that said some of my Indian dishes will use 19 or 20 herbs and spices.

Funnily enough I made a vat of chili this weekend. Quite similar to your recipe but I'm not a fan of veg mince so I use brown or green lentils.
I can see that brown or green lentils would work really well. I think puy lentils or even yellow split please or black eye beans would also work really well. Just not red lentils because of the way they don't hold their shape when cooked.

I can see that brown or green lentils would work really well. I think puy lentils or even yellow split please or black eye beans would also work really well. Just not red lentils because of the way they don't hold their shape when cooked.

I often use black beans and in fact I made a black bean chilli (with coffee!) last week. I'm yet to to write it up and post the recipe.

Over the years I've been looking for a substitute to chilli con carne. Something vegan that tastes just as good and I have finally come up with a good pot of chilli sans carne. As a word of warning, we like it spicy, so if you don't ...halve the chilli quantity (dried and fresh). If the end product is too hot and you're vegetarian, not vegan, you can add yoghurt or sour cream to lessen the heat of the chilli but remember that when you serve it over rice you'll dilute the heat in effect.

This works well with either vegan mince, soya chunks (cooked in veg stock) or believe it or not grated mushrooms.

Ingredients
1tbsp olive oil
1-2 onions finely chopped
1 large or 2 small red peppers
6 birds eye chillies, sliced through but with stalk left on
1 haberano chilli pepper, finely diced
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1-2 tsp hot chilli powder
1 tbsp Hungarian paprika
2 tsp ground cumin
200g dried weight soya mince or 500g vegan mince or +500g grated mushrooms
1-2 tsp Marigold veg stock powder
2 tins chopped or diced tomatoes
1-2 tsp dried marjoram
2 tsp brown sugar
2 tins kidney beans
2-4 tbsp tomato pureé
2-3 pieces dark (vegan) chocolate

Method
  1. If you are using soya mince, cook it for 5 minutes in vegetable stock first, then drain it retaining the cooking fluid. Ensure that the larger lumps are cooked before draining.
  2. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan, add the onions and cook until translucent.
  3. If using grated mushrooms or vegan mince add them in now and cook until the mushrooms soften (in a covered pan) or start to brown if using the vegan mince.
  4. Add the garlic, red pepper, chilli peppers, chilli powder, paprika, cumin, and cook for a few minutes until the peppers start to soften and cook, but don't let the spices burn. If they start to add water to the pot immediately.
  5. Once the red peppers have started to soften, add the soya mince now if using. Mix in well.
  6. Add in the tinned tomatoes, tomato pureé, stock powder (sprinkle it over the pot), marjoram, sugar and enough retained stock to ensure you can cook the chilli for 45 minutes on a low simmer to get a nice, thick, rich sauce.
  7. Add in the kidney beans and chocolate and turn off the heat of you're making this for the next day. If you're eating this immediately, season to taste (include sugar in your seasoning) and serve but it is best left to mature.
View attachment 22488

Wow! Dark chocolate in this sauce, I love these combinations!

Back
Top Bottom