Chocolate or cheese?

Its interesting, The first taste we get in this world is sweet (breast milk). I'm a die hard savoury lover but there are very occasional moments when I crave something sweet. Its rare though.

I know this is meant to be a question of sweet vs savory, and not literally chocolate vs cheese (I mean, I do need to occasionally use the loo, and neither of those help with that). Given a choice, I'm always picking savory. But, as I've noted in some of my recipes, I do make a surprising number of sweet things, though those are mainly for others.

Its interesting, The first taste we get in this world is sweet (breast milk). I'm a die hard savoury lover but there are very occasional moments when I crave something sweet. Its rare though.
My first taste was canned milk, water and corn syrup. My son's was Similac. My youngest daughter went through every formula and breast milk for the first two and a half weeks of her life. Then she could finally tolerate soy milk.
Luckily, when she was about 2, she could tolerate milk. When she was little, we would tell people she couldn't have any milk based products. If they chose to argue (since it didn't cause her any pain), we would say if you give her anything with milk in it, you must keep her for at least 12 hours.
Needless to say: well meaning but misguided relatives typically only gave her milk based products once.
Cleaned her out very nicely.

Was she quite plump? :D
No, actually, even after having 6 kids she has always been in good shape. She never learned to drive a car (you don't need to in Brooklyn where she spent the first half of her life) so she walked or rode a bicycle everywhere. Even when we moved to Jersey, she would ride her bike 10 miles or so each way to the next town to go food shopping.

Normally, I prefer savory, especially a well aged cheddar, or Swiss. Though I truly love extra-sharp Pinconning, and Landana 10000 day Gouda. I love to snack on cheese, cook with cheese, .talk about cheese, etc. I use to sit with my Dad and watch TV on a Friday night, with a good hunk of Colby cheese to munch on.

Now that does not mean that I don't enjoy good chocolate. Give me a Caramello and I will sing your praises to the world. But as it is with most foods, I love to play with them and create new things, like a 3-Muskateers bar, cold from the fridge, with seedless raspberry jelly spread across the top. I like tempering coverture chocolate and using it to make molded candies. I like to turn it into something other than basic chocolat.

As for sweets in general, I have vey good recipes for everything from baked apples, to New York Cheesecake, to doughnuts as good as, or better than Crispy Creams. I'm a sucker for most any fruit pie, and other pies as well. But all in all, I'm a cheesehead, but not from Wisconsin.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind

I have vey good recipes for everything from baked apples, to New York Cheesecake, to doughnuts as good as, or better than Crispy Creams. I

I'd like to see that doughnut recipe. For some reason I was thinking about making doughnuts yesterday - something I've yet to attempt. Not for me to eat, I should add!

I'd like to see that doughnut recipe. For some reason I was thinking about making doughnuts yesterday - something I've yet to attempt. Not for me to eat, I should add!
What type of doughnuts do you want? Yeast or cake? Fried or baked?

This recipe is not my own, but was created by a doughnut shop called Spudnuts. The people I got it from used recipe to make the most amazing, and buttery bread rolls. I ate one of the rolls one day and thought they were very similar to the yeast-raised doughnuts at Krispy Kreams. I made up a batch and cut them into doughnuts, let them rise a bit, and fried them up. Hot and fresh, they were astounding. They do need to be glazed, or dipped into something sweet. I've also used the recipe to make sticky buns, monkey bread, cinnamon rolls, etc. nI all it's glory, here's the recipe:

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/spudnuts-dinner-rolls.9753/

Dough can be used to make cinnamon rolls, or any number of light pastries.

Hope you try it, and love it.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind
"There is no success that justifies failure withing the home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I assume that is the 8 or 16 oz box of powdered sugar? I buy my powdered sugar in bags so have forgotten the measurements.

Oh and chief, your recipe sounds fabulous. I think it is just a basic dough recipe as I have seen one very similar for various and assorted rolls and doughnuts.
No second rise for the doughnuts?

You don't need to add sugar to make bread rolls - its the same dough as for bread. Are you using sugar in all your bread?
Every recipe I have for yeast breads call for either sugar or honey or another sweetner to activate the yeast. Most start with put yeast, warm water and sugar in a mixing bowl to start the yeast.
Now it isn't in breads like scones or biscuits or other baking soda/baking powder breads.

This is leading to 2 other questions. What kind of yeast do you use? How long does your dough have to rise before it doubles in size? Or by the same token, is your bread chewy than ours?
I know the that European breads are denser than American breads.

Every recipe I have for yeast breads call for either sugar or honey or another sweetner to activate the yeast. Most start with put yeast, warm water and sugar in a mixing bowl to start the yeast.
Now it isn't in breads like scones or biscuits or other baking soda/baking powder breads.

This is leading to 2 other questions. What kind of yeast do you use? How long does your dough have to rise before it doubles in size? Or by the same token, is your bread chewy than ours?
I know the that European breads are denser than American breads.

I use dried instant yeast. No sugar needed! My dough rises for about an hour and a half to double. I don't think European bread is particularly more chewy. Some of the denser grain breads are - but think of the French baguette, which is light as a feather.

I use dried instant yeast. No sugar needed! My dough rises for about an hour and a half to double. I don't think European bread is particularly more chewy. Some of the denser grain breads are - but think of the French baguette, which is light as a feather.
Oh there is the difference. I use regular yeast not instant.

Back
Top Bottom