Recipe Spudnuts/Dinner Rolls

Chief Longwind

Über Member
Local time
9:08 AM
Saut Sainte Marie, Siberia, I mean Michigan
I'd like to see that doughnut recipe. For some reason I was thinking about making doughnuts yesterday - something I've yet to attempt. Not for me to eat, I should add!

This recipe is not my own, but was created by a doughnut shop called Spudnuts. The people I got it from used recipe to make the most amazing, and buttery bread rolls. I ate one of the rolls one day and thought they were very similar to the yeast-raised doughnuts at Krispy Kreams. I made up a batch and cut them into doughnuts, let them rise a bit, and fried them up. Hot and fresh, they were astounding. They do need to be glazed, or dipped into something sweet. I've also used the recipe to make sticky buns, monkey bread, cinnamon rolls, etc. nI all it's glory, here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

• 1 pkg yeast
  • 1/4 cup warm water
  • 1 cup scalded milk
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup mashed potatoes
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 5 to 6 cups sifted flour
  • Icing:
  • 1 box powdered sugar
  • 6 tablespoons water
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
How to make Dinner Rolls

• Mix all ingredients together and let rise.
  • Work down and roll out dough.
  • Cut into three inch rounds (Large drinking glass will work)
  • Let rise one time
  • Flatten rounds
  • Dip rounds in melted butter, fold in half, and place on parchment lined cookie sheet
  • Let rise again
  • Bake at 350’ F for 20 minutes
How to make Spudnuts

• Mix all ingredients together and let rise.
  • Work down and roll out dough.
  • Cut with doughnut cutter
  • Fry in 360’ F oil until lightly browned
  • Flip and fry until lightly browned
  • Place on cooling rack to drain

• Icing:
  • 1 box powdered sugar
  • 6 tablespoons water
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
Dough can be used to make cinnamon rolls, or any number of light pastries.

Hope you try it, and love it.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind
"There is no success that justifies failure withing the home.

Last edited by a moderator:
This recipe is not my own, but was created by a doughnut shop called Spudnuts. The people I got it from used recipe to make the most amazing, and buttery bread rolls. I ate one of the rolls one day and thought they were very similar to the yeast-raised doughnuts at Krispy Kreams. I made up a batch and cut them into doughnuts, let them rise a bit, and fried them up. Hot and fresh, they were astounding. They do need to be glazed, or dipped into something sweet. I've also used the recipe to make sticky buns, monkey bread, cinnamon rolls, etc. nI all it's glory, here's the recipe:

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/spudnuts-dinner-rolls.9753/

Dough can be used to make cinnamon rolls, or any number of light pastries.

Hope you try it, and love it.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind
"There is no success that justifies failure withing the home.

Thank you! I'm slightly confused by the fact the recipe seems to make dinner rolls as well as doughnuts. Are dinner rolls really sweet? We don't have anything called dinner rolls in the UK unless it means rolls served with dinner - in which case they are plain rolls (no sugar).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! I'm slightly confused by the fact the recipe seems to make dinner rolls as well as doughnuts. Are dinner rolls really sweet? We don't have anything called dinner rolls in the UK unless it means rolls served with dinner - in which case they are plain rolls (no sugar).
Let me answer that. The doughnuts themselves do not have enough sugar to make them sweet. My bread recipe calls for 1 tablespoon of sugar for every two cups of flour. So for 6 cups of flour, a 1/4 cup isn't that much sugar. The recipe only calls for 50 grams of sugar.
It is the icing that makes them super sweet. You don't want much sugar in glazed or iced donuts.

Hey MG, if you make yeast rolls how do you get them to rise without any sugar?

Cake doughnuts, leavened with baking soda and an acid , like buttermilk, are sweeter than are yeast-raised doughnuts, as the cake doughnuts main flavors are sugar, vanilla, and nutmeg. Yeast raised doughnuts rely on sweet fillings, or glazes to give them their sweet flavor. They are very light in texture, moist, and tender.

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom