Coconut Oil and coffee

Vickeree

Veteran
Local time
4:21 AM
Anyone familiar with bulletproof coffee? It's butter mixed with mct oil and coffee. It supposedly has brain enhancing effects... I don't use the product but I put coconut oil in my coffee instead. I find that it actually tastes good! Or maybe I just got used to it.

Anyone familiar with bulletproof coffee? It's butter mixed with mct oil and coffee. It supposedly has brain enhancing effects... I don't use the product but I put coconut oil in my coffee instead. I find that it actually tastes good! Or maybe I just got used to it.

I'd be super wary of products that say they enhance the brain. Not that they're necessarily bad, just that they probably won't do as advertised. I've never had bulletproof coffee myself, but coconut oil and coffee could be interesting

I have made a version of bullet proof coffee, and it is very good! I put hot coffee and a bit of Kerry Gold butter in my NutriBullet, and whizz it for a bit. It turns into a really creamy, frothy, delicious drink. I always need sugar in my coffee and can't stand it black, but when you put the coffee with butter, it cuts the "black" taste and you don't need to add a sweetener.

It is a great drink, but I don't have it often because if you are not following a particular diet to go with this, it is just a calorie laden drink.

I have not tried bulletproof coffee, but I did try coconut oil in it once. I will never have any oil in my coffee again as I was rather grosses out when I saw the oil drops floating around the top. I will stick with cream and sugar.

I've had "gun fire",
rum in tea,served to the British army as a breakfast drink on special occasions by the senior ranks

I've had several friends brag about the bulletproof coffee, but haven't tried it myself. I also keep hearing about the wonders of coconut oil, so I almost bought a container the other day...until I saw the calorie count. It was really a lot of calories! While I'm not necessarily a stringent calorie counter, I do keep an eye on what is in what. It was something close to 150 calories for one Tablespoon. I'm sure there are a lot of benefits to coconut oil, I'm just going to have to figure it out a bit more before I try it.

Well I will say, if you are a coffee lover and like Starbucks, Second Cup, etc., whatever - you have to try this at least once. It will taste like a coffee you paid for at a fancy shop. The taste is really impressive, if you can get over the calorie content. But anyways, if you put cream and sugar in your coffee, I'm sure that equals the calories of a tsp or two of the coconut oil. After you taste this drink with just the coconut oil, you'll see it doesn't need any added cream or sugar.

I have heard a lot about the bulletproof coffee with coconut oil, but I seriously don't think I could stomach oil in coffee - no matter how well it's blended in. I do however, put Kerrygold unsalted butter in my coffee a few times a week. I think it's a Paleo thing - someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

The butter really does taste good in coffee, and butter is just the solid fat from cream, so it's not that different at all from having cream in your coffee.

I have heard a lot about the bulletproof coffee with coconut oil, but I seriously don't think I could stomach oil in coffee - no matter how well it's blended in. I do however, put Kerrygold unsalted butter in my coffee a few times a week. I think it's a Paleo thing - someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

The butter really does taste good in coffee, and butter is just the solid fat from cream, so it's not that different at all from having cream in your coffee.
But melted butter is an oil and coconut oil is a solid fat at room temperature and also melts in hot drinks to be an oil, so where's the difference?

4125_6519_z.jpg

I have heard a lot about "Bulletproof" coffee just recently but it really doesn't appeal to me at all. I'm not a fan of full-fat milk or cream in coffee - it tastes too greasy and fatty for me so I doubt that I'd enjoy butter at all.

What are the actual benefits to doing this though? "Enhances the brain" does seem a little vague and I'm wondering if anybody knows about the specific benefits to health that doing this has.

But melted butter is an oil and coconut oil is a solid fat at room temperature and also melts in hot drinks to be an oil, so where's the difference?

View attachment 832

Good question, when you put it like that. :wink: I think, for me, the fact that the butter comes from cream anyway, and even though it will melt in the coffee, I'm adding it in solid form and blending, it seems more palatable to me somehow. When I think of oil blended into my coffee, I can't make the dairy connection, so I think that's where it turns me off in a way.

Wow this sounds really interesting, never heard of it before but i've not had my interest piqued and looked it up! :) Wouldn't mind trying, think I will give it a go this evening. I wonder if a little margarine would have the similar effect to butter? As I am vegan.

I haven't tried coconut oil. I guess I will get around to it one of these days. As for coffee, I am having some now. I don't usually drink it this late in the day, but it is cool and drippy here today, and sort of a coffee kind of day. Besides it is an antixodant and 3 cups per day is supposed to prevent Alzheimers.

Back
Top Bottom