Coconut Oil in everyday cooking

teamshepherd

Veteran
Local time
2:23 AM
I was wondering if anyone uses coconut oil to cook? I was away from hubby for a while and when I came back I had found that he is obsessed with using coconut oil instead of olive or vegetable oil.
I find that it's not TOO horrible but it does overpower the taste of whatever food he prepares.

Is there any tricks to this? Is it even really that good?

I have friends that do but I, for some reason, can't bring myself to do it. The taste and the smell of it doesn't rub well with me and I can only use a little bit of it when I make my sugar scrubs and stuff like that. Maybe if I try it a little at a time I'll be fine with it, but for now I think I'll stick to my olive oil :)

The flavor of coconut oil seems to intensify when you cook with it. I have tried it in a couple of dishes and was only fond of it when it was cooked with the grilled onions for tacos. I prefer to use olive oil because the flavor profile of the food does not change much. I like coconuts, but only when I am in the mood for it.

I was wondering if anyone uses coconut oil to cook? I was away from hubby for a while and when I came back I had found that he is obsessed with using coconut oil instead of olive or vegetable oil.
I find that it's not TOO horrible but it does overpower the taste of whatever food he prepares.

Is there any tricks to this? Is it even really that good?
It takes a little getting use to, but it all depends on the dish. Coconut oil seems to work fine in baking and also deep frying. I rather use olive oil for pasta and other general cooking. Coconut oil is by far the better health choice.

I have never cooked with coconut oil, I do use it in raw desserts and think it is very good. My sister uses it as a hair and skin beauty aid. Her boyfriend had tried it for frying and she said the smell of it was horrible, that's when she decided it would be used exclusively as a beauty aide, I don't know if maybe he had the heat to high and the smell waas a case of the oil burning or if it just smells bad when used for frying but I like it in raw desserts and have had no complaints so far.

I just about finished my first jar of organic cooking oil. I have used it on my skin and it is fabulous but you don't want to use it to much. I have eaten it raw by the spoon because I wanted to see what it tasted like and if it had any benefit straight up health wise. I do not know what I expected, all I can say is that I did not have constipation and my nails look better, the ridges are going away. I also added some to my dogs food and her coat looks very shiny, she seems happier.

Now in actual cooking I have only used it like an oil for mostly sauté and frying. I am very happy with the results. I did not notice any over powering taste, I guess the kind I have has no flavor? Didn't know there was an option for flavor or not. Anyway I cooked vegetables last night. Fresh green beans, collards, onions, julienne carrots and sunflower seed. I lightly cook the green beans to soften, boil in salt water about 5 minutes or less. Then I add the rest in a large pot with melted coconut oil and cook at a medium heat till slightly browned. I don't salt because the sunflower kernel's are salted. I love it with rice

Come to think of it I also cooked haddock in the coconut oil a few nights back and it came out very nice, not heavy at all. I like that it seemed the coconut oil did not cook off like olive oil does. Sometimes I find that I am adding olive oil while cooking because it burns off, but the coconut oil seems to stay better at the higher temps. I agree though for Italian cooking I would prefer olive oil.

It just smells like hot coconut when you cook with it and I guess that could turn some people off. I thought it smelled kind of good in the dish I was preparing. It makes a very nice beauty aide as well. I rub it on my face and hands at least once a week and do notice a difference in the way my skin looks and feels.

I just about finished my first jar of organic cooking oil. I have used it on my skin and it is fabulous but you don't want to use it to much. I have eaten it raw by the spoon because I wanted to see what it tasted like and if it had any benefit straight up health wise. I do not know what I expected, all I can say is that I did not have constipation and my nails look better, the ridges are going away. I also added some to my dogs food and her coat looks very shiny, she seems happier.
Ok forgget cooking for a moment, I am interested in this. How much have you eaten and how often? I need to not be constipated so to say.

It just smells like hot coconut when you cook with it and I guess that could turn some people off. I thought it smelled kind of good in the dish I was preparing. It makes a very nice beauty aide as well. I rub it on my face and hands at least once a week and do notice a difference in the way my skin looks and feels.
Does it do anything for hair by any chance?

Ok forgget cooking for a moment, I am interested in this. How much have you eaten and how often? I need to not be constipated so to say.
Any oil taken daily will cure constipation. It acts as a lubricant once you consume enough of it. The gut simply can't absorb anymore of it and.... The rest probably does not need saying.

Does it do anything for hair by any chance?

My shampoo is a solid vegan shampoo which is coconut based as well.
https://www.lush.co.uk/products/trichomania
I believe that it is simply a case that the coconut oil is protein rich which helps the scalp and subsequent hair growth. It makes what is already there look rich by simply coating it in a layer of oil, great if you have naturally dry hair but.... One thing I have noticed is that when I am out camping, my hair attracts flies more when it is very freshly washed in the coconut shampoo, something I had noticed many years ago with a Brazilian friend who put lots of coconut oil conditioner onto her hair as well.

Coconut oil is best to eat raw and to put it on your skin. The problem with all oil is when you heat it up pass the smoke point, you change the make up of the oil and lose most of the health benefits.

I rarely cook with oil, but I add coconut oil to rice after it is cooked, while it's hot to add flavor and healthy fat to the carbs. I do like the taste and smell myself though.

I have never had it in my kitchen.I don't believe I've had it at all in my adult life. Reading this again reminds me I have to put it on my shopping list just to give it a try. As a child I remember the older folks speaking of coconut oil to grease your hair. I'll have to ask if I ever had any in mine. It was believed that it promotes healthy hair and I think skin. I also have vague recollections of it being used raw to promote good health.

Been using it a while ,it's ok for ,sauté style dishes ,even pot roasted some pork with it and lemon grass ,it can become over powering,ok if you like coconut......still perceived to be a pudding by many in the UK ,or a bounty bar
It was nice to see waitrose have got it in their stores now,so may get a bit of health benefit press

Back
Top Bottom